Worst comedy film

There have been plenty of stinkers, but to name a few...Carry on Columbus, the Boys in Blue (awful Cannon and Ball movie - who remembers that?), the Rising Damp film (casting the bloke from Only When I Laugh in the Richard Beckinsale was just one of its many mistakes) and, courtesy of the US, a Cameron Diaz movie called The Sweetest Thing which I had the misfortune to see on Channel Five a while back - this features one of the most shockingly unfunny moments ever committed to celluloid (the Penis Song).

Ouch, Carry On Columbus, yes, agreed. No work of genius there. :(

Re Rising Damp, yes, it just didn't work on film did it? Such a shame as it's a brilliant show. :(

the are you being served film. i dont know what it was called but it really was CRAP!!! Angry

Funnily enough (or not, as the case may be), it was called Are You Being Served? The Movie.

Was that the one where they went on holiday to the Costa Plonka or some such nonsense?

Indeed it is.

Was.

Worst comedy film would have to be either Bless This House or Carry On
Columbos.

Any american student rites-of-passage movie. The best actor in them is usually the spiked punch bowl or the ladder against the girls' dorm window.

YAWN!!!

Yes, definitely agree with that one. The whole concept has been totally done-to-death.

The Fat Slags film. A shit idea for a film if ever there was one.

Probably controversial but I feel duty-bound to vote for A Fish called Wanda - I got so bored I walked out long before the end when it came out!

:O Controversial indeed!

Still, each to their own etc. :)

:(

Is it just me or was this a real 1970's thing to do? Most of what I remember going to the big screen came from popular seventies shows.

Please Sir had a film (saw it recently - not great) as did Porridge, Whatever happened to the Likely Lads, and the ones mentioned in previous threads. Very few (if any) were any good.

Porridge (and i think Rising Damp) repeated bits from old episodes so it would appeal to the international market who hadn't seen the original shows.

I was thinking about this a couple of months back, and have a few theories as to why there haven't really been any sitcom-movies in the same way.
Firstly, the changing demographic of sitcom, its writers, and style. As the 80s came around, there seems to have been quite an upsurge in comedians who may very well have considered making a movie to be "selling out" and "against" their politics and indeed reasons for making the sitcom(s) in the first place.
Secondly, ownership. The BBC (and to a lesser extent, ITV) became increasingly aware that these films were making quite a nice sum, and so they were more protective over their rights to them in every medium. Perhaps they didn't want movies made, perhaps they just never got around to it for whatever reason. Either way, something changed there.
...And there was another large factor, but I can't think of it for the life of me now. Damn.

if you want to find crap movies, buy the book called Comic movies from the u.s.of.a, it is meant to be a tribute to all the great comedy movies, but it is a encyclopedia of shat films