Lovejoy Page 2

A comedy drama in the Minder vein. Entertaining enough.

They've been repeating these for a while on Drama.

It's a combination of Ian McShane being the sort of character I'd like to have been, the gorgeous and classy Lady Jane and entertaining stories where Lovejoy doesn't always come up trumps.

The first series was much closer to the books where Lovejoy isn't always the nicest of people. The subsequent series moved further away from the books but were enjoyable Sunday night viewing in their own right (no idea which night they were actually on!).

They're starting o repeat these again on Drama from Monday at 5pm I think. I'll have to try to watch them on catch-up.

Lovejoy was very good, as was McShane who seems to have done a ton of work (even turned up on the Manchester Untd. t.v. Channel as an avid supporter and ex junior with them) over the last decade, both in the U.K. and the States. Yes his married girlfriend in the series was quite yummy and I saw her in the first series of The Good Karma Hospital recently.

I'm convinced they based the lead on David Dickinson

Quote: TonyT @ 12th July 2019, 8:39 PM

I'm convinced they based the lead on David Dickinson

Your over 10 years out. Lovejoy started in 1986, whereas DD's first appearance on the BBC was 1998. Prior to that he was unknown - more like DD based himself on Lovejoy. ;)

I enjoyed it but didn't like the main character. Smug knowitall who always got the girl. Minor ones like Eric, Tinker and Charlie were more me.

Quote: john tregorran @ 13th July 2019, 12:31 AM

I enjoyed it but didn't like the main character. Smug knowitall who always got the girl. Minor ones like Eric, Tinker and Charlie were more me.

Shrinking Violet you mean? Whistling nnocently

I've just watched again what I think was the last ever episode. The lovely gorgeous Lady Jane came back and broke the news that she was getting married. Her intended turned up for Lovejoy's abortive wedding but never said a word. Looked very much like a certain Mr. La Frenais who of course created the show.