The Dame Edna Treatment

Anyone seen The Dame Edna Treatment? I thought it was quite good, actually, if a little lengthy in parts. To tell the truth, the funniest bit for me was the obviously embarrassed if not completely scared look on hapless Michael Bolton's face towards the end of the show. I wonder if people would recognize him in a buttoned-up shirt. And what might Mischa Barton do next, get a brain?

I missed it unfortunately although I've been a fan since "The Adventures of Barry McKenzie". Anyone know if that's available on DVD? Enjoyed in 1972 (or whenever) but it may be one of those that hasn't aged well (a bit like me).

If you check on our shop pages, there's a large Dame Edna box set coming out in a few weeks. Possibly next Monday, actually. I forget.

Anyway.

Yeah, hmmm. Have to say, I wasn't too impressed. Some of it was rather good, but the overall show was just too 'ropey' for my liking. Pity. Did love the Bean thing though.

Yes - you told us before about Dame Edna's large box. Is Barry McKenzie in there too?

I lurrrrrve Dame Edna, not sure i would want to get interested in her box tho. As nice as it may be.

My worst nightmare is being trapped in some smelly box for hours. URGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, no wankyou. :S

No idea David. That's all I got.

Barry McKenzie is on BBC2 now. Watch it - you'll love it.

Quote: Chappers @ March 21 2007, 2:29 AM BST

I missed it unfortunately although I've been a fan since "The Adventures of Barry McKenzie". Anyone know if that's available on DVD? Enjoyed in 1972 (or whenever) but it may be one of those that hasn't aged well (a bit like me).

TAOBM has long been one of my favourite films. There's a very good 2-disc special edition DVD release by the Australia-based Umbrella Entertainment. The sequel, Barry McKenzie Holds His Own, while nowhere near as good as the original, is also available on DVD and has a fascinating commentary by star Barry Crocker. Fun anecdores about co-stars Spike Milligan and Peter Cook.

I bought TAOBM on VHS in London in the early 1990s and was upset to see that two important scenes had been cut. Likewise, the same scenes were also cut from the first two DVD releases. Hopefully they've been restored to whatever DVD release is now available in the UK.

Must say, I'm shocked it is available in the UK.

See Amazon product listing
[p=http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/108014//Product.html]
[h=578236]

Quote: Aaron @ July 13 2009, 12:42 AM BST

Must say, I'm shocked it is available in the UK.

I'm shocked that amazon.co.uk evidently has little regard for The Adventures of Barry McKenzie, as its one line synposis - "Barry McKenzie's aunt is kidnapped by Count Plasma and taken to Transylvania as a tourist attraction. Barry, a beer-guzzling, sexist pig of a buffoon, sets out to the rescue." - is about a different film, namely, the sequel. Very sloppy.

Whereas play.com's synopsis is about the correct film: "Barry McKenzie, a loud-mouthed sex crazed innocent, travels to London to get a cultural education. His Aunt Edna Everidge accompanies him to keep him out of harm's way. Barry's adventures take him from the Australian colony of Earl's Court to Rickmansworth and the strange perversions of England's upper classes then along the hippie trail meeting the swindlers of the British music industry before landing him back in London this time among the poofters and lezzas of Notting Hill."

Liked the BM (Barry 'Scott' McKenzie, to give him his full name) song that I once heard on an old 'Private Eye' flexi-disc - 'One-Eyed Trouser Snake'.

Sir Les Patterson is my man, without a doubt.

Quote: Tim Walker @ July 13 2009, 1:14 AM BST

Barry 'Scott' McKenzie, to give him his full name.

His full name is Barrington Bradman Bing McKenzie.

Quote: Kenneth @ July 13 2009, 2:06 AM BST

His full name is Barrington Bradman Bing McKenzie.

Not according to the Peter Cook intro on the 'Private Eye' flexi-disc (don't make me try and remember which one, but it did precede any film appearance of BM).

Quote: Tim Walker @ July 13 2009, 2:56 AM BST

Not according to the Peter Cook intro on the 'Private Eye' flexi-disc (don't make me try and remember which one, but it did precede any film appearance of BM).

The One-Eyed Trouser Snake is performed on the December 1967 flexi-disc The Abominable Radio Gnome. Does Peter Cook really call him "Barry Scott McKenzie"? Obviously just a Scott McKenzie joke and not Barry McKenzie's real name.

I think so.

As an aside, I have most of the old Eye flexi-discs recordings which were collected onto a vinyl LP years ago.

They do contain some really funny comedy, such as Peter Cook as John Peel "interviewing" John Lennon and 'OK Yoni' and a brilliant piss-take of Frost's 'Not So Much A Programme...'. You also get to hear Richard Ingrams say the word "c**t" and the leaked recording of Harold Wilson warning that his out-take rants on a TV interview don't get leaked to Private Eye. Plus much more. (Barry Humphries, of course, is on most of them, staying on-topic. A bit.)

Does anyone know if these shows are available on CD anywhere? :)