Joe Wells

I saw Joe Wells at the fringe and it miiiight be my favourite show out of the 50+ shows I saw. That's probably overselling him, but I really really enjoyed his set. He's a political comedian (which I don't usually care for), and if I'm honest, a total Stewart Lee clone. But in a good way (if you really like Stewart Lee and are a lefty). His show was called 'I Hope I Die Before I Start Voting Conservative' which is a bit strong of a title for what it actually was. The premise (a bit pretentious, but go with it) was in the format of Joyce's 'Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man' in which he, as narrator, begins all the way on the left, super naive and idealistic (and hating old people), and then as the set progresses the years pile on and by the end he's an OAP, hates young people, is cynical and moving farther to the right. I won't give away more than that because I think you all should check it out when it becomes available. He told me on twitter today that he's filming it tomorrow, and that he already has it recorded for a CD release which I'm guessing will eventually be available on his website.

His last year's fringe show is also up on audio-only on Nextupcomedy.com (which is a site I just discovered yesterday and am enjoying the heck out of. So much good stand up on there! Well, not a tonne, but what's up is very very good. Lloyd Langford's hour from last year is especially great, and Tony Law has like 4 hours up. Anyway...)

Check out Joe Wells! Here's his website: http://www.joewells.org.uk/index.htm

There are some youtube clips and things on there if you feel like giving him a go.

Though no one seems to care, I'm going to bump this and add that Wells is starting a new monthly comedy club night in Portsmouth that I would definitely go to if I lived anywhere near. Seems like a solid setup.

Definitely worth supporting, in my mind. Does anyone live near Portsmouth?

http://www.wegottickets.com/event/415359

I once did a gig with Joe about six or seven years ago - he was good and I'm surprised he's not more well known.

He was selling out even on weekdays by about midway through the fringe, so he's doing okay, at least by that measure. I think he should be more well known than he is, though. He's very very good.

He's done some notable things like supporting Alexei Sayle and Frankie Boyle on tours, and writing for HIGNFY, but I think he should have at least a DVD by now. I think this latest fringe show may have been filmed possibly to go up on nextupcomedy.com, but I'm not sure if that's going to pan out or not. I'll be keeping an eye out.

I'd imagine he's only gotten much much better since 6 orf 7 years ago. He really blew me away at the Fringe. Glad I'm not the only one on here who has heard of the guy though.

Check him out, people!