Recommend Irish stand up DVD for my mum

Howdy can any one recommend an Irish stand up someone that mainly makes light of the Irish my mums like 60 so nothing to harsh, any idea's please it's her birthday and I think she might like something a bit different.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Tommy Tiernan? Though he's a bit blue at times so it depends on your mum's tastes.

Dara O Briain, Ed Byrne, Chris O'Dowd, Dave Allen (your mum might remember him from the 70s).
Have a look in the 'Shop' section of this site too, it's full of DVDs.

Who's that big man from Ulster with white hair who's always going on about the Pope?
I think his punchline's "no".
Ian Pastry or something like that?

Jason Byrne has a lot of Irish-centred material too.

Tommy Tiernan is great, but 'light' is not a word I would use to describe his material!

Likewise Dara. What about Ardal O'Hanlon maybe.

The thing is that most contemporary Irish standups don't really deal with Irish issues a lot (since most of the really good ones ply their trade in the UK), and the older generation, with exceptions like Dave Allen, were shite.

Hi many thanks for the suggestions more confused now. I like Jason Byrne I think I'll go for that and Tommy Tiernan.

If you guys have any more suggestions please do tell.

Maybe asking to much here but what would you say where the best DVD sets that these two have?

Thanks again.

Quote: GallonOfAlan @ November 19 2012, 11:58 AM GMT

Tommy Tiernan is great, but 'light' is not a word I would use to describe his material!

Likewise Dara. What about Ardal O'Hanlon maybe.

The thing is that most contemporary Irish standups don't really deal with Irish issues a lot (since most of the really good ones ply their trade in the UK), and the older generation, with exceptions like Dave Allen, were shite.

Yer that seems to be the case as long as there a little Irish related humour that's good enough.

I think she will like Ardal O'Hanlon yepp him and Jason Byrne will do nicely.

Thanks guys.

Quote: little jon @ November 19 2012, 12:02 PM GMT

Maybe asking to much here but what would you say where the best DVD sets that these two have?

Incredibly subjective question. I'd recommend gazing across star review ratings (on Amazon, for exmaple) if you're really interested in some perception of 'quality'. I wouldn't pay much attention to what individual reviews say, however.

Jason Byrne is the best Irish comedian around by a country mile

The guys a feckin genius

Dave Allen, Frank Carson, Roy Walker. All 'old school' but may be more your mums cuppa.

Barry (or Aaron as some think you are :D ) whilst it is a tad interesting to read old (very old!) posts sometimes, do you think that somebody who posted just three times on the same thread over 4 years ago is going to be still on this site?

These type of posters are two a penny and never heard from again.................of course, if you are trying to build up your post count then the best of luck. Whistling nnocently