EU Referendum - In Or Out? Page 24

Quote: Ben @ 26th June 2016, 12:50 AM BST

Well I voted remain, but I'm not going to cry my eyes out about it.

And I'm certainly not going to try and demand another referendum. Or claim that we're a country of racists.

Let's just see what happens.

A voice of reason.

I was a remain and despite the closeness I think we have to accept it. What I did find disappointing was the general level of debate - threats and disaster on one side and made up nonsense on the other. A credible argument from either side could probably have persuaded me to change 'sides'.

What I do find a bit depressing is the number of people who seem to have used the referendum as a protest vote without quite understanding the implications e.g. cuts to public services which has little to do with the EU. Or to protest about how excluded or unrepresented they feel.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 25th June 2016, 2:20 PM BST

It's always amused me how people love the principle of democracy until it produces an outcome they don't like.

Ferxacterly.

Wow!!!!! Today is turning into a real bloodbath. Bloody sunday indeed....

Alastair Campbell said that this was most shocking news for Britain since Diana died - and the fallout makes a fireworks display look like a tea party in a public library.

I must admit that the first time I clapped eyes on Corbyn, I thought he looked like he'd have a handshake like a wet fish, and now it seems so do most of his 'staff'! "Ahem . . . Mr. Boss sir - I have to say I think you're a bit shit at your job". "What? Get out! You're fired!" . . . and then they all started jumping.

And because he's a puppet with no leadership qualities, his lack of passion & commitment has to be partly to blame for this whole situation and consequently, we're already seeing what I thought would happen with perfectly legal immigrants being treated like lepers, and now England faces the prospect of a massive surge of even more immigrants before borders close . . . and existing plan a strike on 4th as they had no say but some have lived & worked here perfectly legally for 20-30 years . . .

Situation is wrecking lives, both because everyone was misled/lied to and nobody expected majority vote to exit so nobody had any sort of plan of action in place at all, so what we have is a complete breakdown of whole infrastructure of the country, with Boris also rapidly becoming a hate figure.

Happy days.

I'm hoping this mess will lead to a knight of the double edged long knives, wiping out both the Corbynites and the Blairites.

And leaving erm. Alan Johnson?

He's alright lets make him king of England and everything will be alright again.

If I were Jeremy Corbyn right now, I'd start running . . . away, very fast . . .

I'd be so embarrassed and full of shame that it'd be either that or digging myself a hole where no-one would find me.

The guy has no shame and apparently he has to be put on the leadership ballot.

So his 200,000 moronic fans can keep voting him in.

I'd join just to vote him out. Does he not realise he's allowed the Cons to make a bonfire of workers rights, NHS and the welfare state.

And he's now handing them the matches.

I am figuring on a few rotten eggs being pelted - but at who or who's house first I wonder?

Rotten eggs are too tame - it's time they started burning a few people at the stake. I happen to have a list of victims handy.

However if wee Nicola's right, Scotland may be able to save the world by vetoing the whole mess.

This is actually making me despair and that's not often something I do.

There's a paradigm shift I think in UK politics and this referendum was a test of it. If one discounts the conservatives this was a straight up fight between UKIP and Labour. And UKIP won by 2,000,000 plus votes. No they did better than that add in Scotland where they have no grip and it's more like a million.

UKIP are offering a sort of "people's conservatism" as opposed to "one nation Torys." A kind of unsular, highly conservative, populist form of conservatism. And it's beating Labour hands down I can see them stealing seats from them all over the shop in 2020.

Labour needs to get it's head out of its metaphorical arse, ditch Corbyn and start talking to people it needs to vote for them. And it needs to stop saying "but that's racist" to all the hard questions.

The whole thing has been an exercise in futility which wasn't even about the people of this country (as has also divided, rather than united us), but a battle against each other by using us as ammunition, and the 'adult' equivalent of the playground's 'my Dad's bigger than your Dad', only now, Cameron got the biggest shock of his career and caved, Boris is bricking it because he will have to face up to consequences, and Corbyn is in so much quicksand it's doubtful he can claw his way back out now.

The only person with their head still screwed & switched on is Nicola Sturgeon, and she can say or do no wrong in my eyes right now.

Quote: fopdoodle @ 25th June 2016, 4:33 AM BST

Only 19% of 18-24 year olds planned a 'leave' vote, with Scotland voting to remain, so my question is, is this a fair democracy? Really?

If, for the sake of argument, just one specific city or area alone had majority "out" vote that dictated outcome, that's like the rest of the class being punished for one of the kids being naughty. And it's the kids who will suffer too, but why should they? They didn't ask for this, but now they are asking their parents if it means they will never get a job or a place to live - it's just horrible.

When I was 18 and making big decisions about my future, I decided to seek work straightaway opting for a trainee position (or apprenticeship) rather than going to art college as felt practical experience would be more beneficial than learning more about the history of bloody art . . . but had absolutely no worries about leaving home and finding a flat. I found a place almost straightaway, got 100% mortgage as you just had to be employed - no savings whatsoever, but now, people in their twenties or even thirties are still living with their parents, only it will be even harder for them to get onto property ladder now (house prices may fall, but mortgages will rise).

Did anyone voting 'leave' really not imagine that the cost of living generally would shoot right up? I don't think I have ever felt more empathy for those just starting their adult lives in this new mess - and foreign nationals - and their kids . . . and if someone doesn't pull something out of the bag a bit lively, there will be conflict.

For f**ks sake. This IS democracy. You can't say because you don't like the outcome we should have a revote!

And the fact that only a small percentage of 18-24s voted to remain is because they don't understand!

Also if 52% of Brits wanted to stay and a majority of Scots wanted to stay it must mean that MUCH MORE THAN 52% of English people wanted to leave!

Grow up and accept Democracy!

Quote: Nick Nockerty @ 25th June 2016, 10:00 AM BST

I got interrupted part way though signing this, a short time later the vote had grown by almost 100,000. It's close to a million votes at time of writing and rising at the speed of light.

That's because everyone who voted to stay is sulking and can't accept they're in a minority. IT'S DEMOCRACY!!!

Quote: fopdoodle @ 25th June 2016, 12:28 PM BST

It has now come to light that it seems less than half the country wants this, so the whole poll should be voided. It IS embarrassing - a bit like storming out of a room and slamming the door, only to realise afterwards that you've left your coat behind, but if implemented it will be going against what most want.

If this was in a court of law, it would be a hung jury.

You're the one having a f**king tantrum.

The turnout for this was bigger than a usual election.

Quote: billwill @ 25th June 2016, 1:01 PM BST

The whole EU organization needed a violent shock to roust it out of its dogmatic, obstinate ways and by golly the UK has done that with this referendum. Yes it will be expensive but in the long run it will be worth it.

The young who now complain (that Brexit will now disrupt their easy life) nothing is really lost, if the EU improves then in 10 to 20 years when the present young are in charge they can then apply to rejoin the EU. Just like we oldsters did when we were in our 30s.

Well said Bill.

Quote: Nick Nockerty @ 25th June 2016, 2:12 PM BST

The petition has almost risen to over 1.5 million already. It evokes a valid clause that a democratic process must now consider. So it's not can we have second vote, it's will we....

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

Of course because of all those who voted Stay will sign it. 1.5 million only?

Maybe we should have one on Leave.

Quote: Chappers @ 26th June 2016, 11:04 PM BST

For f**ks sake. This IS democracy. You can't say because you don't like the outcome we should have a revote!

And the fact that only a small percentage of 18-24s voted to remain is because they don't understand!

You're the one having a f**king tantrum.

I think it's obvious who's having the tanrum here.

I am merely pointing out that the main issue, regardless of what I voted, is that people were misled so didn't even realise what they were voting for, and that's not right.

Quote: fopdoodle @ 26th June 2016, 11:27 PM BST

I think it's obvious who's having the tanrum here.

I am merely pointing out that the main issue, regardless of what I voted, is that people were misled so didn't even realise what they were voting for, and that's not right.

With all the scaremongering by the Remains I'm surprised anyone voted to leave! Any right-minded person could see it was all bollocks!

And that's Politics for you. You're obviously quite young and naive.

Democracy is that the person who gets the most votes wins.