US Animated Sitcoms...

I've just been watching King Of The Hill on DVD and again been reminded of how brilliant it is in a low key way. Hank Hill is a towering comedy figure, and although from Texas, he's so repressed and buttoned down he could almost be English. I'm not sure that it's the best animated US sitcom of all time, but it's definitely in the top ten, and I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned in this forum before.

And how come the Americans can produce so many great animated sitcoms (The Simpsons, Family Guy, American Dad, South Park) and we can't produce any? Sure, Monkey Dust was good for a series, but the second series dribbled away. And I Am Not An Animal was just okay. And the less said about Stressed Eric the better.

I like Futurama and King of the Hill. Family Guy and South Park are above average and The Simpsons has been overkilled IMO. American Dad is rubbish I think.

2DTV wasn't a sitcom more a sketch show but that was brilliant until ITV took it off air for unknown reasons. (Sorry, i forgot it's english, lol)

The Simpsons ruled until Season 10 when it just started to weaken. I watch Channel 4 everyday just to get my old episode fix.

I f**king love King of the Hill. It makes me so happy. I honestly thought I was the only fan in England.

I always found King of the Hill rather depressing. But Family Guy and Futurama are brilliant. :)

Wait till your father get's home. Now there was a class animated sitcom

Quote: Aaron @ March 16, 2007, 3:49 PM

I always found King of the Hill rather depressing. But Family Guy and Futurama are brilliant. :)

But it always ends on such a good note and wraps up nicely with Bobby and Hank learning a lesson. I love it and Hank Hill is one of my idols.

As a sweeping generalisation I hate all American sitcoms but love there animations, maybe it’s something do with the fact that their animated characters are more real then those in their sitcoms.

In there animations there always fat stupid and ugly, just like real people (almost put Americans but didn’t what to upset anyone) ;)

I always loved Ren and Stimpy - as well as South Park. I liked American Dad until I found Family Guy. Then of course there's always that one on the Simpsons - the name of which escapes me - of the cat and mouse.

Quote: Scott T @ March 16, 2007, 11:29 AM

I like Futurama and King of the Hill. Family Guy and South Park are above average and The Simpsons has been overkilled IMO. American Dad is rubbish I think.

The Simpsons should have been put out of its misery a long time ago. Family Guy used to be considered a rip off of the Simpsons. Now it seems The Simpsons are doing their best to emulate Family Guy with very little success. I find South Park the best US animation and I agree that American Dad is rubbish. As for King Of The Hill, although I've never actually sat down to watch an episode, from bits ive seen there must be something I'm missing or don't get because I really don't find it that funny. My brother loves it though...

Quote: Leevil @ March 16, 2007, 7:42 PM

But it always ends on such a good note and wraps up nicely with Bobby and Hank learning a lesson. I love it and Hank Hill is one of my idols.

Yeah, but the Bible is people learning lessons constantly, and I wouldn't want to watch a sitcom based on that.

The bible teaches nothing.

It's intensely difficult to get a animated sitcom even considered for commissioning over this side of pond it's immensely frustrating, it's always oh but the budget no one wants to take a chance that’s why I'm self funding a pilot to try and convince those insane producers. (BIG HEAD ALERT) I'm going to crack that market wide open.

I think one of the problems with King of the Hill was the style of animation - a bit wierd really. Obviously South Park's is unique but it's because it's so crap it works.

With KOTH though I don't think it was all moralistic. That idiotic redneck couldn't see that "his" son was really red indian and his wife was obviously having an affair with - I think - their gardener.

It was very funny at times.

Anybody remember Dr. Katz? I saw this animated show years ago on Paramount Comedy and loved it. I haven't managed to catch it since, though. Pity, as it made me laugh.