Can you write news-style topical satire? Page 2

Quote: Smithy @ 10th February 2016, 8:11 AM GMT

I just want to be able to stop those that come from people here

Harsh...

Mine was the Beyoncé piece.

Ha! That'll teach me to reply by phone...

Mine was the Andy Murray piece.

Well, given that I read this around noon, wrote something pretty quickly and sent it in, it's up already! http://newsthump.com/2016/02/10/tightwad-liverpool-fans-bemoan-new-7m-ticket-price/

Cheers Smithy!

Dan

EDIT Well done swerytd!

Just submitted a slightly obvious Trump hair piece piece. Was going to do a 'NASA announce Trump's Ego can be seen from space' article but Googled it and found it had already been done! I suppose that will happen when everyone is fishing in the same small current affairs pool.

Put playfull & BCG in the name box is that ok?

Feel free to trash my efforts - as my wife says "you get used to disappointment after a while.."

If you are not using my pieces please let me know - I might post them in 'critique' and ask for advice.

Thanks and good luck with the site.

Well done Dan!

Annoyingly Andy Murray's daughter's birth may already be covered before I did it.

Hi Smithy

I've noticed that on your submissions page, it states that if your piece is accepted you'll be given a byline on the article.

I can't see any bylines on any of the recent articles. Is this something you've stopped doing?

Just sent one in about Cruz & Rubio.

Quote: DavidE81 @ 3rd March 2016, 10:24 AM GMT

Hi Smithy

I've noticed that on your submissions page, it states that if your piece is accepted you'll be given a byline on the article.

I can't see any bylines on any of the recent articles. Is this something you've stopped doing?

Bylines are still there, it depends on the device you're using to browse the site. On mobile, we've removed some of the meta data as it was taking up a lot of room (things like categories and so on), this also removed the byline credit. We haven't found a quick way of putting it back It's still there on desktop and tablet and desktop.

We're going through a redesign process at the moment, and the byline will definitely be there on all devices when that's finished (and will 'reappear' for all past posts).

Also, some people choose not remain anonymous and don't have a byline at all (myself included in that).

Just noticed your 'Guess Who' article.

Well done again Dan. Are the cheques rolling in yet?

Well, I certainly don't have to talk to you lot anymore!

Bloody writers, typing their *own* comments. Don't type that, butler! No! Don't type that either! What is *wrong* with you, you idiot--(SOUND OF SOMEBODY BEING BEATEN WITH A VERY, VERY EXPENSIVE THING)

(Cheers!

Dan)

Quote: playfull @ 16th March 2016, 9:07 AM GMT

Just noticed your 'Guess Who' article.

Well done again Dan. Are the cheques rolling in yet?

No one uses cheques now, Grandad.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 20th March 2016, 4:48 PM GMT

No one uses cheques now, Grandad.

I do. written with a quill and hand delivered by urchin.

"written with a quill and hand delivered by urchin."

Sounds like you're a prickly customer.

Just submitted something to the site.

I should probably say something funny here to enhance my chances.

Dammit.