W1A Page 5

Is Will retarded?

This series is slowly improving, I'm finding my periods of disgust tempered with mild interest and chuckles.

Or, in other words, "No, yes, no". :P

Quote: Chappers @ 30th April 2015, 10:50 PM BST

Good to see the gorgeous Sarah Parish even though she is playing a grumpy old cow.

I think Anna is the secret star of the show. :|

Diminishing returns and disappearing up its own backside!

I think the plot may mean Anna may need to develop a personality?

I enjoyed it very much. Some clever subtle gags.

I hate the narration by Dr Who and also the fantastically gorgeous Sarah Parish looks awful with that expression on her face.

Surely the only alternative is to cast someone else as the grumpy character?

Probably the best of the series - some jokes that go beyond catchphrases (or catch-tics), and a bit of character underpinning the relationships for once. But, I don't know, I just don't buy into any of the plot drivers. What, precisely, would have happened if the guy had shaved? Does it matter who ends up presenting Britain's Best Village, or whatever it was? Is a chat show on bikes actually a good idea?

In 2012, you had the Olympics, something even non-sports fans consider to be essentially worthwhile, and a man with the unenviable job of balancing a million opposing viewpoints to try to make them happen. Now we have a man who has a meaningless job trying to manage a bunch of people with other meaningless jobs who are marginally less able than him at doing them, to achieve things of extremely minimal import. It's just incredibly hard to care. Eh?

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 16th May 2015, 8:51 AM BST

Surely the only alternative is to cast someone else as the grumpy character?

No - I'm just saying it's good that she can make such a change. I think it's called acting.

Quote: gappy @ 16th May 2015, 10:05 AM BST

Probably the best of the series - some jokes that go beyond catchphrases (or catch-tics), and a bit of character underpinning the relationships for once. But, I don't know, I just don't buy into any of the plot drivers. What, precisely, would have happened if the guy had shaved? Does it matter who ends up presenting Britain's Best Village, or whatever it was? Is a chat show on bikes actually a good idea?

In 2012, you had the Olympics, something even non-sports fans consider to be essentially worthwhile, and a man with the unenviable job of balancing a million opposing viewpoints to try to make them happen. Now we have a man who has a meaningless job trying to manage a bunch of people with other meaningless jobs who are marginally less able than him at doing them, to achieve things of extremely minimal import. It's just incredibly hard to care. Eh?

I think it's some form of reverse propaganda to make us believe how great the BBC is.

Reverse propaganda, yep there's a strong element of that. It's even explicitly said when Ian prepares to be interviewed on live TV in the inclusivity episode (S2E3 I think). They say they have to be their own worse critics, and they are definitely proud of that.

In general, I think there's a mixture of things going on in the series, only one of which is the comedy. There's a serious undertow in my opinion.

The W1A scenes are not removed enough from reality. In Twenty Twelve, the time pressure of delivering such a huge event to such a tight schedule help to make the scenes ridiculously laughable, but in W1A, you get the impression that this stuff is going on all the time, and not just at the BBC.

Quote: gb901 @ 8th May 2015, 10:49 PM BST

Is Will retarded?

It can look a little like that in the beginning, but I think they're trying portray a young person with very low self-confidence.

I think Izzy recognises this. She's torn between her good and evil side: has feelings for him but knows how easily she could annihilate him.

Quote: gappy @ 16th May 2015, 10:05 AM

Agree totally

Quote: arth roceph @ 30th July 2015, 10:38 PM

It can look a little like that in the beginning, but I think they're trying portray a young person with very low self-confidence.

I think Izzy recognises this. She's torn between her good and evil side: has feelings for him but knows how easily she could annihilate him.

No, he's retarded!

It's wearing incredibly thin now!

Quote: gb901 @ 25th September 2017, 10:54 PM

It's wearing incredibly thin now!

Yes, exactly.