Double RIP Page 3

RIP to both.

Christopher Lee did have something in common with Dusty Rhodes. They must have both been rock hard. Rhodes was a wrestler in the 70s (back when wrestlers couldn't walk into a bar without someone challenging them to a fight).

Christopher Lee was in the S.A.S during World War II. He refused to talk about the details in interviews. Not sure if that was his decision or the official secrets act. Either way, classy guy.

He would have played James Bond if Ian Fleming (his cousin) had his way.

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 13th June 2015, 7:46 PM BST

Christopher Lee did have something in common with Dusty Rhodes. They must have both been rock hard. Rhodes was a wrestler in the 70s (back when wrestlers couldn't walk into a bar without someone challenging them to a fight).

Christopher Lee was in the S.A.S during World War II. He refused to talk about the details in interviews. Not sure if that was his decision or the official secrets act. Either way, classy guy.

Dusty Rhodes was most certainly not "rock hard", he was a big fat man with barely any athletic ability, his incredible wrestling career was down to his charisma, his ability to speak & connect with the audience & the ability to pick his spots so that the very few moves he did actually meant something, similar to Hulk Hogan.

Don't know that about Christopher Lee though, not sure how he'd have been portraying James Bond though.

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 13th June 2015, 7:46 PM BST

Simply wouldn't have worked in my opinion.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 14th June 2015, 7:56 AM BST

Simply wouldn't have worked in my opinion.

I agree. Plus it would have made The Man with the Golden Gun very confusing.

Quote: Ian Morgan @ 14th June 2015, 3:14 AM BST

Dusty Rhodes was most certainly not "rock hard", he was a big fat man with barely any athletic ability, his incredible wrestling career was down to his charisma, his ability to speak & connect with the audience & the ability to pick his spots so that the very few moves he did actually meant something, similar to Hulk Hogan.

Don't know that about Christopher Lee though, not sure how he'd have been portraying James Bond though.

Rhodes was hard in the same way all pro wrestlers from that era would have needed to be hard just get through a night out without being attacked. I didn't start watching wrestling until the early 90s when he was already a middle aged wrestler in the twilight of his in ring career. In his younger days he had regular 60 minute matches with Ric Flair, Harley Race etc, he also through dropkicks on a regular basis and occasionally went to the top rope. He certainly was a fat man with a load of charisma, but in his prime he was a genuine good ring technician with decent ability for his size.

He reminded me a little bit of rotund kung fu legend Sammo Hung.

I watched Dusty and the other superstars from ringside in the seventies and it was clear that they were working very hard. I have a lot of great childhood memories from those days: high fiving Dusty Rhodes, shaking hands with Andre the Giant, watching "mortal enemies" smile as they walked out the back door of the auditorium and climbed into a Cadillac...

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 14th June 2015, 1:03 PM BST

He certainly was a fat man with a load of charisma, but in his prime he was a genuine good ring technician with decent ability for his size.

Oh really?

but in his prime he was a genuine good ring technician with decent ability for his size.

Ooooh, hello sailor.

I agree. Plus it would have made The Man with the Golden Gun very confusing.

Rhodes was hard in the same way all pro wrestlers from that era would have needed to be hard just get through a night out without being attacked. I didn't start watching wrestling until the early 90s when he was already a middle aged wrestler in the twilight of his in ring career. In his younger days he had regular 60 minute matches with Ric Flair, Harley Race etc, he also through dropkicks on a regular basis and occasionally went to the top rope. He certainly was a fat man with a load of charisma, but in his prime he was a genuine good ring technician with decent ability for his size.

He reminded me a little bit of rotund kung fu legend Sammo Hung.

Not every wrestler was a tough guy. Men like Harley Race certainly were but Dusty was most definitely not hard. Its a myth to believe that all wrestlers of that era could really fight.

And the fact that Flair or Race could carry his wheezing ass for a hour means nothing, its well known that these guys could have had a great match with anyone.

Quote: Chappers @ 15th June 2015, 6:46 AM BST

Oh really?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 15th June 2015, 7:13 AM BST

Ooooh, hello sailor.

Obviously I only watched wrestling to see big beefy men with their junk on display.

It's the same reason I watch Scrapheap Challenge.

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 15th June 2015, 5:46 PM BST

Obviously I only watched wrestling to see big beefy men with their junk on display.

And their bottoms I suspect. Whistling nnocently

Quote: Ian Morgan @ 15th June 2015, 2:30 PM BST

Not every wrestler was a tough guy. Men like Harley Race certainly were but Dusty was most definitely not hard. Its a myth to believe that all wrestlers of that era could really fight.

And the fact that Flair or Race could carry his wheezing ass for a hour means nothing, its well known that these guys could have had a great match with anyone.

Well I guess your not as much of a Dusty fan as me. I must admit you have a point, not all wrestlers are as hard as others. Shawn Michaels didn't seem all that tough away from the ring, although I still wouldn't fancy my chances in a fight with him (real or pre-arranged).

My best friend's older brother used to watch wrestling in the 1970s. He was a big fat lump of a bloke who would sit with a can of a beer in his hand, grunt and bellow instructions to one guy on what to do with the other one. Sit on him tosser. Kick the c**t's head in. That sort of thing.

Having left school with two o'levels, he passed his driving test early. He was, in fact, the first person who I ever had the pleasure of being driven by who could motor all the way to Knightsbridge from the suburbs at 80 mph while giving the V sign out of the window the entire time. We were, I recall, placed in a pizza joint and told to sit there for "just six hours". He then took his complimentary ticket to a VIP music enclosure in which he was expecting to shag Paul McCartney's secretary.

Later, in the US, he married a millionaire's daughter and was made by her father the President of one of his global brands. His entire family who thought a lot of him used to parade the fact he had few skills and no work ethic. He was, they said, very adept at bringing out the qualities in employees. I believe he returned to old blighty but whether he still watches wrestling isn't known.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 15th June 2015, 8:22 PM BST

My best friend's older brother used to watch wrestling in the 1970s. He was a big fat lump of a bloke who would sit with a can of a beer in his hand, grunt and bellow instructions to one guy on what to do with the other one. Sit on him tosser. Kick the c**t's head in. That sort of thing.

Having left school with two o'levels, he passed his driving test early. He was, in fact, the first person who I ever had the pleasure of being driven by who could motor all the way to Knightsbridge from the suburbs at 80 mph while giving the V sign out of the window the entire time. We were, I recall, placed in a pizza joint and told to sit there for "just six hours". He then took his complimentary ticket to a VIP music enclosure in which he was expecting to shag Paul McCartney's secretary.

Later, in the US, he married a millionaire's daughter and was made by her father the President of one of his global brands. His entire family who thought a lot of him used to parade the fact he had few skills and no work ethic. He was, they said, very adept at bringing out the qualities in employees. I believe he returned to old blighty but whether he still watches wrestling isn't known.

Nah, I don't watch it so much anymore. I must meet up and talk about old times.

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 15th June 2015, 5:51 PM BST

Well I guess your not as much of a Dusty fan as me. I must admit you have a point, not all wrestlers are as hard as others. Shawn Michaels didn't seem all that tough away from the ring, although I still wouldn't fancy my chances in a fight with him (real or pre-arranged).

Possibly my memories of Dusty are still tainted by his WWF run, polka-dots & sapphire!!!