SunTrap Page 2

Quote: playfull @ 1st June 2015, 9:02 AM BST

As there is no strong language I assume the BBC have buried this in a late slot for a reason.

Yeah - supposedly it's now the less-pressure launch slot for trialling new comedies.

I had a go at watching this as I'm a big Kayvan fan from Fonejacker days but I lost interest pretty quick. It just seemed so stilted and the dialogue was poor, maybe this was intentional but I fear not. Might give it another go this week just though just to see if it gets any better.

They say that sitcoms can grow on you....if this one does, I'll arrange for surgery as this was excruciatingly BAD. What a waste of some talented actors. Who in the BBC allowed this to go out?

Just noticed that this is aleady out on DVD. What does that tell you? Could it be "make some dosh before the critics pan it to death" I think.

Not really. An increasing number of series are released very soon after broadcast.

Quote: bobdabilda @ 1st June 2015, 6:11 PM BST

Just noticed that this is aleady out on DVD. What does that tell you? Could it be "make some dosh before the critics pan it to death" I think.

Out for pre-order, released after series airs. pretty standard practice.

I love Kayvan Novak (specifically Fone/Facejacker) and his immense vocal ability. My fave bit from ep 1 was him masquerading as Jack Dee's interior designer. The promise of that is enough for me to find a couple of hours over the next month to watch the rest of the series.

Bradley Walsh's character reminded me very much so of his first ever screen role as Larry Harmless in the underrated Lock Stock TV series.

Quote: Alfie J @ 3rd June 2015, 12:09 AM BST

Bradley Walsh's character reminded me very much so of his first ever screen role as Larry Harmless in the underrated Lock Stock TV series.

Bradley Walsh has been on TV a lot longer than that!

Quote: Aaron @ 1st June 2015, 3:27 PM BST

Yeah - supposedly it's now the less-pressure launch slot for trialling new comedies.

And for those sink without a trace with no hope of a second series!

Quote: Aaron @ 3rd June 2015, 12:16 AM BST

Bradley Walsh has been on TV a lot longer than that!

I was surprised by that too, but according to imdb/wiki, this was his first acting role (he'd done some wheel of fortune previously).

Last night's episode had a standout moment that had me in stitches. This show's worth it just for the characters Novak plays, however I do still feel his talents are petter suited to another vehicle.

Quote: bobdabilda @ 1st June 2015, 5:44 PM BST

They say that sitcoms can grow on you....if this one does, I'll arrange for surgery as this was excruciatingly BAD. What a waste of some talented actors. Who in the BBC allowed this to go out?

Agreed - but this just so bad - I actually enjoyed it a little last night. I liked the nonsense exchange -

Bradley "My knee is still not right."
Ex wife "Well it's you fault for not warming up properly"

That made me actually smile!

Quote: Alfie J @ 4th June 2015, 11:56 AM BST

I was surprised by that too, but according to imdb/wiki, this was his first acting role (he'd done some wheel of fortune previously).

Ah! I'd be very surprised if there wasn't some earlier acting in a sketch show or special he'd appeared in - but a first full acting role, that could well be true.

I really liked Episode 2. Lots of laughs, and just worked better on almost every level. Of course, fantastic guest stars too.

I really like the 'feel' of this, lots of fun.

I've just watched Episode One and it's a classic case of a bloody good comedy script being made into a bloody awful TV programme.

I'm not usually a fan of joke-based sitcom. I much prefer the comedy to come from character. Having said that, however, the episode I watched was just about as good a 'joke-based' script as I've ever seen. It's a pity the final broadcast was such a pile of poo.

The problem appears to be Kayvan Novak's acting. He was wonderful as the Fonejacker and he was very good indeed as the Facejacker but, when using his own God-given face and voice in front of the camera, he's as wooden as an extremely wooden thing.

Don't shoot the writers.

Shoot whoever cast Kayvan Novak in this role.

UPDATE: I've just watched Episode Two and it's ANOTHER gem of the joke-based sitcom genre. Top marks again to the writers.

If Kayvan Novak were to play his base character as some sort of distinctive 'character', both he and the show might shine. As things stand, however, he comes across as dreadfully dull when being himself (or playing his base character) and shines only when pretending to be somebody else.

Does nothing for me.
We don't need a comedy version of 'Hustle' - that's what 'Hustle' is.
Novak needs to calm down a bit, too.

Quote: Lazzard @ 6th June 2015, 11:18 AM BST

Does nothing for me.
We don't need a comedy version of 'Hustle' - that's what 'Hustle' is.
Novak needs to calm down a bit, too.

This.

Although episode 2 was better than episode 1. Novak's character is all over the place. And I don't think it's directed or editted brilliantly. But I do like the writing, and the Ex-Eastenders/Ex-Corrie cast are on the whole quite good.

I'm hoping that it (and Novak) will be getting better as the series goes on as I so want to love this comedy. It does have potential.