Seeking comedy writing partner in East Sussex

Why hello there! My name's Claire and I'm 18. And before I start, I would like to clarify that I'm only seeking a writing partner around my age (give or take 5 years or so, perhaps). Male or female both fine!

Okay, down to business! I'm seeking a writing partner who would be interested in writing screenplays, sketches for TV/Radio, sitcoms and plays. It would also be useful if you enjoyed performing and if you liked any of the following:

The Young Ones*
Bottom*
Blackadder*
Red Dwarf
Fawlty Towers (haven't watched much of this but the clips I've seen were good!)
The IT Crowd

* I might just marry you if you like any of these

That isn't an exhaustive list but I'm too exhausted to think of any more
Laughing out loud Okay! So if you'd be interested in writing with me, let me know. I'll be checking this post for a long time so even if it was posted a while back just post and I'll probably see it. Look forward to hearing from someone. Anyone. *crickets*.

Hey, are you just looking for people based in East Sussex?

Heya :) mainly, but I mean, if I found someone I enjoyed writing with THAT much then I'd give it a go. It would just make it a bit more difficult!

The Young Ones is my favourite comedy of all time. I also love Bottom, Red Dwarf and Fawlty Towers; all of which are in my top ten sitcoms.

I am in West Sussex, which as the crow flies, is right next door to East Sussex.

Alas, sadly I am already married and so cannot take up your kind offer, and age wise - lets just say I watched The Young Ones when it was first broadcast in 1982!

However, anyone who is 18 and loves both The Young Ones and Bottom deserves a big applause as far as I am concerned. Best of luck with your search for a writing partner.

That's amazing! A part of me wishes I'd been around a bit earlier to have watched those shows when they were broadcast. Comedy these days isn't the same, and I wish there was some way to bring it back!

Thank you so much, I wish you the best with your comedy writing (if that is what you do) also :) I feel like it's going to be difficult to find anyone my age who likes those shows, which is a shame, but ah well!

Okay, well I'm based in Canterbury so not too far. Funnily I was living near Hastings which would have been ideal Unimpressed I've done quite a bit of comedy writing, had a few shorts made as well. Would be cool to do some collaborating though.

Ahh I see :) What sort of comedy do you like? Any of the shows I mentioned or some others? That's cool that you've had some shorts made!

I like all of those! Haven't seen that much of Red Dwarf though. What sort of things were thinking of writing? Sitcoms? Web-series? Short films?

That's awesome! I haven't seen much Red Dwarf either. Well, I have, when it's been on TV, but I haven't made a huge effort to watch every series or anything XD

Right now I'm trying to write sketches for a radio show, which includes comedy songs. I'd also LOVE to write a sitcom - I tried a couple of weeks ago but then I realised it was too much of a rip off of The Young Ones Laughing out loud Plus it's a big step for someone who's new to comedy!

Cool, yeah I've written a sitcom (was part of my uni course) it's a tricky one, I think it helps to have experience in seeing your work produced to get an idea of what works etc.

That sounds good! I've written sketches for a radio broadcast (still waiting for them to get going on them though Unimpressed ). Is it a specific radio show that you're looking to write for?

Hi! Sorry I disappeared for a little while. I suffer from periods of low moods and I haven't been having the best few weeks! I have got back on my feet now though, and am back to writing again :)

Ooh, it sounds like you've already had quite a bit of experience with it! I'll be honest with you, I have none. I only have a passion for writing and some (possibly) funny ideas.. I've been looking around and it's so disheartening to see how hard it is to get your scripts read. I'm working on another pilot episode for a sitcom right now, but I feel like it's not going to take me anywhere even if I spend all that time on it, just because nowhere is willing to read unsolicited scripts Huh?

I'm also kind of unsure how we would be able to work together on things - you live almost two hours away from me and our opportunities to meet up would be few and far between :( that isn't to say that I don't want to, but do you have an idea of how that could work? :)

Hey sorry for my delayed response as well. I know what it's like, It's hard getting your stuff out there. I'd recommend writing as much as you can for practice and also apply for any writing things you find (I've written lots of short films and people are often looking for them as it's a good starting point)

Unfortunately I'm a bit snowed under with things at the moment (including general work) and I'm not sure where I'm going to be based so I don't think I'll be able to commit to it unfortunately. But keep on going at it! Best to see it as a hobby that turns into a job then you'll keep on enjoying it! Pleased

[quote name="Claire Lawliet" post="1117789" date="23rd April 2015, 9:50 PM B
Ooh, it sounds like you've already had quite a bit of experience with it! I'll be honest with you, I have none. I only have a passion for writing and some (possibly) funny ideas.. I've been looking around and it's so disheartening to see how hard it is to get your scripts read.
[/quote]

You could always put it out on YouTube. Got to start somewhere. If you go to your local Amateur Dramatics club, you'll find most people there are writing something. If you've got some sketches, put them on the Critiques bit, and maybe someone will approach you. Or feel free to PM me with one. Best of Luck.

No problem Melvo, thank you for the help and best of luck with everything you're doing! Pleased

Thanks Nick, I'll most likely submit some scenes from the sitcom I'm writing in the critique section soon! :)

I've just seen your post regarding looking for a comedy writing partner and wanted to drop you a line.

Naturally I'd love to do this (why would I write to you otherwise?)
Are you still looking?

I've no contacts to speak of, nor do I have any scrips I can submit as my own to show you how piss your pants funny and creative I am. I can however plagiarise like a good-un so if you want examples of other funny work that's not a problem.

Simply I've aspired to follow in the footsteps of Gervais and Merchant for several years and feel I've lots of Prowse in me - I'm simply lacking someone on the same wavelength to bounce ideas off and to probably give me the kick up the arse I need.

I'm keen, know I can do this and frankly need the partnership format to bring out the best in me, to make me put finger to keyboard and stop being a lazy f**kwit dreamer.

Well, with such great qualities and credits to my name I know you'll be ready to bite my hand off at this opportunity.

I await your response. I am holding my breath so please be quick, I'm lucky to swim a width under water in one go as it is.

And the vodkas made me forget .. You can email me direct on andy@coops.org.uk :)

Wibble