One Liners Page 2

To go for the extreme and unexpected-

'I saw a sign outside Sainsbury- it say 'try something different' - so I let them live

for now'

Quote: Ahem @ 15th October 2014, 3:18 PM BST

To go for the extreme and unexpected-

'I saw a sign outside Sainsbury- it say 'try something different' - so I let them live

for now'

I don't get it, let who live? Sainsbury's? Sorry, doesn't make any sense to me.

I think Gappy's are hilarious :D

Quote: Tony Cowards @ 15th October 2014, 3:48 PM BST

I don't get it, let who live? Sainsbury's? Sorry, doesn't make any sense to me.

The people in the Sainsbury's.
It's not all automated check-outs

:)

I still like my nude today gag, because it is based on personal experience which is always the best source for comedic material.

Quote: Marc P @ 15th October 2014, 5:27 PM BST

I still like my nude today gag, because it is based on personal experience which is always the best source for comedic material.

I like it too :D

One liners are all about delivery so it really is dependant on who is telling the joke. Sarah Millican would deliver the 'Sainsburys Try something different today' joke in her own style and with a twist to the ending, as would Lee Mack, as would Tim Vine, as would Jack Dee....so imo..if you're writing one liners for yourself then take a look at the many different comedians that use them and study their delivery, see who you can relate to and then write...because there's nothing worse than listening to a comic who deosn't sound 'natural' in their delivery.

Quote: Susan Hodgett @ 16th October 2014, 11:06 AM BST

One liners are all about delivery so it really is dependant on who is telling the joke.

I can't fully agree with this otherwise when I've seen Milton Jones, Tim Vine or Gary Delaney trying out new material every joke would get a laugh, which is not true.

Yes, MOST of it is about the delivery, as is all stand up comedy (as a rough rule I reckon it's about 80-90% delivery and 10-20% the standard of the material) but it's much easier to deliver good, well written jokes, no matter how much charisma and performance skills you have it's difficult to polish a turd.

I would say that starting off with great jokes and then developing the performance skills to really sell them is the way to go.

Wrting, re-writing, editing and repeating ad nauseum is one of the few things you can control, literally, away from the spotlight, make sure you go on stage with the best material you possibly can otherwise you are starting at a massive disadvantage.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ 16th October 2014, 11:56 AM BST

it's difficult to polish a turd.

That's very true, however, its very easy to roll it in glitter and make it sparkle! lol
(For proof!.... Just listen to Michael Mcintyre!)

Quote: FunyHaHA Not Funy Strange @ 16th October 2014, 1:07 PM BST

That's very true, however, its very easy to roll it in glitter and make it sparkle! lol
(For proof!.... Just listen to Michael Mcintyre!)

That must be some glitter. He is currently the worlds most successful comedian and has yet another tour already lined up for next year which will no doubt sell out faster than Twilight embossed dildos.

Michael McIntyre makes me laugh, personally I think he's a brilliantly accessible combination of funny material expertly delivered.

And before anyone suggests otherwise, that is my genuine opinion not a sarcastic one-liner.

I saw a sign outside Sainsburys which read- Try Something new today. So, I walked home and had sex with my wife/husband.

I like Ahem's line.

What is your nickname?

Quote: Craig H @ 16th October 2014, 1:41 PM BST

That must be some glitter. He is currently the worlds most successful comedian and has yet another tour already lined up for next year which will no doubt sell out faster than Twilight embossed dildos.

I'll be honest, I love playing devils advocate, and I could have just left it at the amazing retort of glitter, but I knew people would bite if you insult a successful comedian! its not funny other wise! lol

but to make my point, Maria carey is the biggest selling female artist of all time! doesn't meant we all have to like her!

Quote: FunyHaHA Not Funy Strange @ 17th October 2014, 1:09 AM BST

I'll be honest, I love playing devils advocate, and I could have just left it at the amazing retort of glitter, but I knew people would bite if you insult a successful comedian! its not funny other wise! lol

but to make my point, Maria carey is the biggest selling female artist of all time! doesn't meant we all have to like her!

Is she any relation to the biggest selling female singer of all time, Mariah?

:P