Unfamous (Sitcom Scene) Page 2

Quote: Marc P @ 19th July 2014, 9:57 PM BST

So it makes it kind of hard to critique above and beyond what I have, for me anyway at least, identified as flaws. Unless you want a simple yes or no response to the premise? I see other people think you are on to a great idea.

Yeah that's kind of all I was looking for. This isn't a script/idea that I have any immediate plans for. The current completed scripts I have written are with my agent and prod companies awaiting feedback. So while I wait in limbo I thought I'd look back over some old, half-written ideas and see if I could do anything with them.

As I said in the opening post, I posted this here to see if it inspired anything.

Seems to me that would be a better approach if that was why she really was moving back home. Gives it some depth and room to explore genuine human needs aspirations etc and bring back to the status quo each episode. But like I said it could just be me. But broadcasters are looking for the legs almost as the first thing.

I actually wrote a script very similar to that, about a daughter moving back home to look after her sick dad while having to also deal with her dysfunctional siblings. It's that script in fact that got me my agent. And you're right, it's a much more sustainable idea than the idea I've posted here. :)

After posting it I thought more about it and thought of Frazier where the parent moves in and that worked quite well. Good luck with the projects out there and you are right to keep some balls in the air as it were! :)

Quote: Marc P @ 20th July 2014, 2:25 PM BST

After posting it I thought more about it and thought of Frazier where the parent moves in and that worked quite well. Good luck with the projects out there and you are right to keep some balls in the air as it were! :)

Thank you. I think I've got a nice variation of scripts out there at the minute, hopefully one of them can find a home!

Thanks again for your thoughts on this particular idea. :)

My pleasure glad you took the unabated negativity from a bitter failed sitcom attempted writer in the spirit it was intended! :)

Sorry I won't let it lie. :( I don't like the idea of a butler. I'd give her a precocious witty child and a 'manny' to look after her or him and have just one parent move into her house, preferably the mother. Work against the stereotype of her as a glamour model. Maybe a different kind of model as.. Well... The glamour model has been well done and a bit of easy stereotyping, but if that is what she is go against the stereotype.

I shall say no more.

:)

I agree with Marc. If she could afford a PA/Butler, she wouldn't be having to move in with her parents. The sitcom needs a lot of rethinking.

I'm not doing anything with this script. Not in it's current form anyway.

I'm working on something different now. :)

Quote: Martin H @ 22nd July 2014, 1:47 PM BST

I'm not doing anything with this script. Not in it's current form anyway.

I'm working on something different now. :)

Are you telling me I wasted valuable toenail-clipping time on criticising a script you're not going to do anything with?!!

Quote: beaky @ 22nd July 2014, 2:02 PM BST

Are you telling me I wasted valuable toenail-clipping time on criticising a script you're not going to do anything with?!!

I am indeed. Although I did state this from that start that it was an old, half-baked script that I was posting here to see if it caught any interest, rather than a completed script that I was planning to do anything with.

Back to your toe-clipping sir!

Do you still do your podcast, Martin?

Quote: Lee @ 22nd July 2014, 5:03 PM BST

Do you still do your podcast, Martin?

No, I haven't done that in years. I would like to get back into podcasting at some point but I just don't have the time in between work and script writing. I still run The Shirker website although that is hard to keep up to date too because the free time I have I mainly use to write scripts so that I can get more stuff sent out.

If you want a theme with an obnoxious glamour model and a butler (weirdly I quite like that dynamic: think it's because the traditional butler is the one kind of sycophantic company Z-listers probably _don't_ usually keep) then I think it would be more compelling to have the glamour model not based in her family home; the parents can then be bit part characters either trying to bask in her reflected glory or wonder when she's going to get a real job, preferably one of each.

Think it would be "deeper" if the lead character was actually more comfortable in occasional visits to the glaringly-obviously incongruous family home than the trappings of fame and luxury she's chosen, especially if she's in massive denial about it.

I thought this was great.

Girl band, soap star, spokesperson, bankrupt and unemployable by 21.

Lindsey Lohan, Kerry Katona - I think it's a really modern relevant premise that everyone can identify instantly.

I think celebrities used to fade into obscurity after their fall, now the headlines love a good public breakdown.

'Who the gods wish to destroy they first make famous'

I like the character dynamics and I'd say there is miles of comic situations to be mined once you find the right tone.

I imagine a very British female Kenny Powers