Community Centre Events

Hi, I'm currently developing a project set in a community centre and am looking for events that take place in them that could be funny. Any Ideas?

Creche, jumble sale, barn dance, Women's Institute, Coffee morning, Televise football.

There must be hundreds of things. You obviously thought it a good place so you must have ideas already.

I've been reading events lists on various community centre websites and had a few ideas yes but just wanted to see if there's anything I've missed.

A sports centre-focusing on centres-obviously has more comedy potential, but it's been done. Maybe create a character who just happens to run a community centre?

The funnies should be character-led rather than simply funnies derived from the location/venue itself.

Similar to what Paul above said, you should be focussing on creating a big memorable central character to run the centre, then think of a group of regular funny characters to interact with him or her.

I do have character led stories but was just trying to open it up a little bit more - I have a lead in mind but was thinking of an ensemble group rather than a main lead are their any rules for an ensemble sitcom?

How about a polling station, lots of characters back and forth and the polling officers and the like

Just to be clear I'm not looking for an event at a community centre to base the sitcom on, I was just looking for ideas for events that take place, for example slimming clubs, play groups, coffee mornings, most of these will feature but it is more about the characters than the actual event.

Quote: MrBucktrout @ 4th July 2014, 9:22 PM BST

are their any rules for an ensemble sitcom?

Not rules - but it is often better to have a main character with a range of characters surrounding them.
The comedy is better if it's driven by one persons needs or wants - and their frustration at failing to achieve it.
Fawlty wants to be running a much better hotel than he is, Mainwairing wants to be a leader of men, fighting a real war, Del Boy wants to be a millionaire etc etc
It's much easier to be single-minded about what drives the drama if you have a main protagonist- with the rest there to , in the main, frustrate him/her.
Otherwise you just end up with banter.

Thanks for the feedback :)I'm looking to write something with a similar tone as Benidorm (series' 1-3) As you mention 'Fawlty wants to be running a much better hotel than he is, Mainwairing wants to be a leader of men, fighting a real war, Del Boy wants to be a millionaire' So what would be the tag for Benidorm? I know it's mainly about the Garvey's but what's the premise other than people on holiday?

Quote: MrBucktrout @ 5th July 2014, 5:24 PM BST

So what would be the tag for Benidorm? I know it's mainly about the Garvey's but what's the premise other than people on holiday?

I've no idea - as I didn't get past the first episode :)
Anyone else care to pitch in?

Of course, not all sitcoms conform to this paradigm - but for me, the more satisfying ones do.

I think something like Benidorm is an ensemble piece, every one has their own stories. I'm not a massive fan, but as I recall the Garvey fella just want a free holiday, but his kids and wife want to have fun which costs him money. The posh man wants his wife to be happy so is a doormat for her, his wife wants anything but her husband/excitement. I suppose it's kind of like an anthology with the same setting because, as I remember, their stories don't overlap too much.

In which case, probably the most important two words on the script were Steve & Pemberton.
Getting that sort of stuff away is typically a nightmare.

Great, I'll put Steve & Pemberton on all my scripts

That's the sort of thing I am looking to write with each character or characters together having their own stories. If I header the page 'Steve Pemberton' they'll have to read it won't they?