Comedy Playhouse 2014: Monks Page 2

Quote: Tim Azure @ 4th February 2014, 12:49 PM GMT

If it flops, won't that make it more likely your show flops as well?

Best just to try something else?

It's not that similar! Enough to make it possibly untenable, but not enough to be any indication of how it would go.

Always trying something else, but this one has got the furthest of anything, so I'd been rather hopeful.

Considering how long this has been in development for, I hope it us good as it appears to have a decent cast involved.

I want to be excited about it (MARK HEAP!), but it's difficult to expect much from a BBC1 programme these days.

Agreed - Mark Heap is such a wonderful physical comedian his presence is a reommendation. But if the programme is crap, even he can't save it and most of the BBC output these days is not worth the effort of switching on the TV.

Tawdry and almost painful to watch!

Worst one of the three and that's saying something.

I almost had struggles breathing whilst watching.

Acting is fine and every thing else, just the idea and writing is awful.

Who's making these decisions? It's like equivalent of a 100m coach picking for the Olympics and watching one runner - 'yep he's the best we've got' 'um, but there's loads of athletes waiting over there, don't you wanna see if they have better times?' 'No, this is the best we've got and I'm too stubborn to change that now because I don't like being told what to do'.

It's like somebody said, let's remake Father Ted only not as good.

Terrible Canned laughter.
Very predictable jokes -
"The Bible"
Although I thought Big Bertha was an Organ. (close, but no cigar)
"And was that the reason..."
Why was this rubbish made?

I did not laugh once at this, I was expecting a decent pilot considering how long it has been in development for but I think it needs to stay in development a lot longer as to me it really just was not funny and I can see why James Corden pulled out. For me, all 3 pilots have been mixed but the strongest one which could go on for a series would be Miller's Mountain but that still needs work doing to it.

This was very different to the Corden pilot, I should point out. Entirely new plot for starters, and one writer missing.

Aaron if you're suggesting "could have been better with Corden", then that maybe the most dire critique ever.

I struggled from the opening titles, the fact a dole cheat became a monk was too far fetched for me. I think even the silliest of scripts/shows need have a foot, or even a toe in reality this didn't. The story seemed okay, but I didn't laugh once

I don't usually comment on stuff, but just wanted to balance out the haters by saying I really enjoyed it. Proper old-school sitcom, with Mark Heap being amazing as usual. Would love to see a series.

It wasn't hilarious, but I liked it enough that I'd give the series a go. It's got at least three brilliant actor comedians, and they did a good job.

Quote: blahblah @ 14th May 2014, 4:04 PM BST

I struggled from the opening titles, the fact a dole cheat became a monk was too far fetched for me. I think even the silliest of scripts/shows need have a foot, or even a toe in reality this didn't. The story seemed okay, but I didn't laugh once

The Corden pilot addressed that much better I think. It actually happened within the show for a start, wasn't just vaguely referred to over the opening credits.

Heap like Pilkington is naturally hilarious. So they both add layers of gloss to even the stickiest turd.

So whilst Pilkington kept Derek season 1 afloat apparently completely on his own. Heap was fantastic in this, but just imagine Monks without him.

Pilkington and Heap maybe as detectives, that'd be awesome.