NJ: Bez Interview Sketch

This was one I submitted last week. Probably a bit too obvious and not funny enough but hey-ho. Have a look and say what you think or don't.

ROMESH INTRO:Happy Mondays dancer, Bez, is preparing to run for parliament in the next general election, declaring he wants to create a new world order. I think they already exist, though they've never been the same since the bassist, Peter Hook, left. Libby Tyler has a Newsjack exclusive interview.

LIBBY:Mr Bez, you're well known for being the dancer in the band, Happy Mondays, but what do you bring to the political dance floor?

BEZ:I can think outside the big fish little fish, big fish little fish, big fish little fish, cardboard box.

SFX:BEZ SHAKES MARACAS

LIBBY:You're also well known for having dabbled in drugs, can you clarify what your stance is on drugs?

BEZ:Well, that's a tough one because I'm not usually aware of how I'm standing when I'm on one.

LIBBY:OK, what about current government policies, are you against anything in particular?

BEZ:I'm against the cull of badgers and also any insane ferrets.

LIBBY:Mad ferret?

BEZ:Me too. Madferit!

LIBBY:The environment appears to be something you are passionate about. You've talked of a permacultural society and are well known for your love of bees.

BEZ:That was rave culture, man. Everyone was doing it.

LIBBY:What does bee keeping have to do with rave culture?

BEZ:Oh yeah, mad for bee keeping, love the buzz..

LIBBY:You believe in free energy, are against fracking for shale gas and believe in re-distribution of wealth. Is that right?

BEZ:Absolutely.The current system is all about divide and rule. We need a revolution; we need to stir things ups and get in the corridors of power instead of just shaking maracas about it.

LIBBY:Do you mean instead of just shouting about it?

BEZ:That's what I said.

LIBBY:No, you said instead of just shaking maracas about it.

LIBBY:Then you shook your maracas too.

BEZ:No I didn't

LIBBY:You did. I'm not twisting your melon man.

Liked the bit in the middle about the Bees and stuff but start probably a bit week and needs a better punchline. However I've never got anything into NJ so you are quite at liberty to ignore this :) And if it gets into NJ you can PM me with 'Neer ner na ner ner' which is the correct rebuttle for such a critique.

Nice intro joke (new world order) and the Bez stuff all good - only criticism is that maybe the interviewer's desperation in trying to get something coherent out of Bez could be made clearer in the words, though some of that would come through from the performance - it does need that tension to elevate it.

Some very funny lines in there but I think you could cull some bits.