Comedy Playhouse 2014: Monks

Just seen this on the home page: https://www.comedy.co.uk/news/story/000001337/bbc_one_to_pilot_monks_sitcom/

It sounds incredibly similar to a sitcom idea that someone posted in the critique section not long ago at all! I really hope it's the same guy's idea.

Anyone else see it and get de ja vu?

If you read the whole article it mentions it's a very old idea that's already had a pilot made years back. So I don't think it was nicked from critique. ;)

Pretty sure that James Corden was involved with this at one point? Before he became Gavin and Stacey successful. So this must have been knocking around for some time.

Unless I've completely misremembered all of this.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ 7th January 2014, 7:35 PM GMT

Pretty sure that James Corden was involved with this at one point? Before he became Gavin and Stacey successful. So this must have been knocking around for some time.

Unless I've completely misremembered all of this.

That's the one! (As far as I know.)
I saw that pilot and really liked it. They should have made a series.

Quote: zooo @ 7th January 2014, 7:39 PM GMT

That's the one! (As far as I know.)
I saw that pilot and really liked it. They should have made a series.

I'm pretty sure they might have been going to, but Gavin and Stacey took off and that did for Monks! So that must have been a while back?

2008 apparently.

Blimey. The writer/s must have gone absolutely bleedin' spare in the intervening years!

Quote: john lucas 101 @ 7th January 2014, 7:50 PM GMT

Blimey. The writer/s must have gone absolutely bleedin' spare in the intervening years!

Well the original radio pilot was in 2000, so they've had plenty of time to go batshit crazy even before that!

Quote: Aaron @ 7th January 2014, 8:43 PM GMT

Well the original radio pilot was in 2000, so they've had plenty of time to go batshit crazy even before that!

Jesus. That was a long 'development' process!

I hope it's not going to be another load of dross from the BBC ;)

Just got my audience tickets by email for this Friday - cutting it fine!

Quote: Bonzo @ 28th January 2014, 12:14 PM GMT

Just got my audience tickets by email for this Friday - cutting it fine!

Was it any good?

Let's hope they grasp the nettle and have lots of gay sex scenes.

Quote: Antrax @ 3rd February 2014, 3:11 PM GMT

Was it any good?

Sorry, can't tell you, I never got there. Decided that battling through Friday traffic to get to Elstree and the fair chance that once I got there I might not even get in (I've been to things before where they've given out far more tickets than there are seats), and the pouring rain, just wasn't worth it. London is a lot easier for me - but I missed out on tickets to Up The Women (London Studios). Pity, I saw the first one recorded and it was brilliant.
OOOHHH - further to the email from the Beeb saying I didn't get UTW tickets, I've just had one to say I DID get them - hooray!

Darn - I've something similar in development and I'm crossing my fingers it flops...