Pipedream?

Allright? Ive just started writing my first sitcom,I've got the storyline for 6 episodes completed,character development completed,subplots completed and have just begun writing the script for Episode 1.I think it's going to be astoundingly brilliant! - but then again every time I buy a lottery ticket I think I'm gonna win and dont! It should be ready in about 3 weeks and then it's of to writers room! I have visions in my head of BBC producers emailing me to invite me in for a meeting to discuss making the project a reality!
I want to know do you all feel like this when you write something? (would anyone send off a script they thought was Barry White?)or am I just being a total and utter first time pipe-dreaming poopster?
Oh and where else should I send it! cheers, Webbo

Well if you don't follow your dreams you are guaranteed not to get them.

Persistence is the key in this game, its a very difficult craft to master so if you fail at your first attempt don't be downhearted you can only get better. Not everyone can make it but you might not be everyone.

If you want to be a professional boxer, footballer, tennis player or whatever - you have ZERO chance unless you're very good indeed at your chosen sport.

It's different with comedy writing. You can be utterly useless and still get a sitcom commissioned, produced and broadcast.

Never lose faith in TV producers' inability to recognise a mountain of poo when it's sitting on their desks.

The list of sitcoms that prove my point is endless (almost).

Good point Foxybox! What if you write a comedy masterpiece and the script reader is a huge fan of "last of the summer wine" and "Oh Dr Beeching!" ? We're all buggered!

Love "Last of the Summerwine"... it's a classic!

Write your stuff and then try to sell it.

That's it.

Everything else is just gasbagging.

Interesting your visulaisation. I had the same visualisation when I was in bands - that we would send demos off etc. and eventually "make it", make albums, etc. but with writing I've been more focussed at writing what I want to write without caring or thinking about what would happen if I sold it. I think the writing and the selling (for me) are just not linked.. not now anyway.

Good luck btw .. we all need some of that I reckon! ;)

Quote: Frankie Rage @ February 21, 2008, 11:01 AM

Love "Last of the Summerwine"... it's a classic!

Write your stuff and then try to sell it.

That's it.

Yup.

Apologies if i've offended any "last of the summer wine " fans.
Nobody stood up for "Oh Dr Beeching" though!

Honestly, I've seen a fair few people (and I haven't even been here that long) come to the board and declare that they have written the future of comedy - and I mean some actually phrased it like that.

Who knows who has and who hasn't of course. All I'm saying is, yes, so many new writers seem to feel like this.

Why not post a scene or two in the critique section and get some feedback from fellow writers before sending it off?
This section really is useful and there are lots of good writers posting and critiquing in there.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck with your sitcom whatever you decide.

EDIT:

I read this back and thought it came across as somewhat negative - I hope not because it absolutely wasn't meant to!!

The madening thing is you are always writing to an audience, and you can only change that audience incrementally.

That is until the day of my glorious revoloution, oh they'll rue the day believe you me.

Although William Goldman was talking about films, his quote "Nobody knows anything" applies just as well to sitcoms. Nobody really knows what sort of stuff will get commissioned, and what sort of stuff a producer will take a shine to. So you've got just as much chance as everybody else on this forum, providing your work is professional and well produced... Incidentally, does anybody know the derivation of pipedream?

Opium pipe one would imagine

Quote: Matt Webb @ February 21, 2008, 10:55 AM

Good point Foxybox! What if you write a comedy masterpiece and the script reader is a huge fan of "last of the summer wine" and "Oh Dr Beeching!" ? We're all buggered!

Then find one that isn't.

One persons 'Didn't make me laugh' is another's 'Very, very very funny'.

If it's good enough, you just need to find someone who sees it and takes a gamble. It'll happen if the script is good enough.

Quote: Matt Webb @ February 21, 2008, 10:55 AM

From my experience so far, you´ll probably find that a good reader will appreciate a good script even it doesn´t target their own personal tastes or the type of comedy their channel or prod. company is looking for. A minor tip may be to mention that you´d be happy for your script to be passed on to anyone they think it might suit more when you submit.