Christmas morning sketch

A small boy is about to open his last present.

Boy: please be a ps4. Please be a ps4.

Mum: just remember, money has been tight this year.

Boy: it's ok. I've been really good this year. It's going to be a ps4 I know it.

He opens the present and stares at it looking confused.

Boy: what's a sega mega drive?

Mum: it's a games console like the ps4. Look it came with a game. You wanted FIFA didn't you.

Boy: FIFA 96?

Mum: yeah. You can invite some friends over to play it later if you want.

Boy: I don't understand this. I've been good since the 1st January and I haven't got a single thing on my list. I wanted a ps4 and I got a sega mega drive. I wanted an iPhone 5 and I got some walkie talkies.

Mum: you can give 1 to a friend and talk to them.

Boy: they only work when you're standing 20ft away. If I had an iPhone 5 I could just phone them. I wanted the new miley cyrus album and I got the best of the Bee Gee's.

Mum: I thought you liked the bee gees.

Boy: on tape. Anyway, what did you get?

We see she is surrounded by expensive presents.

Mum: not much

I like the idea of the kid confused by the retro presents, but I think it needs a more lateral explanation than the mum spending all the money on herself.

Perhaps the reveal could be that his parents are Stuart Maconie and Gena Yashere, professional rememberers of slightly old things.

Love the kid unwrapping his gifts, very funny and well written but the ending lets it down, I think the reason he is getting all these out of date gifts should be explained in the punchline but not just a selfish mum because it's hard to accept that a mother would make her child go without for her own selfish gain at Christmas.

how about leading to a more ridiculous ending?

So the ending would go something like:

Boy: on tape. Anyway, what did you get?

Mum: Just this rickety old time machine!

Funny Ha Ha Ha and Gappy have both got good endings, to a great sketch with a weak ending.

As Timbo says the retro presents is a nice idea, but the punchline falls a little flat. I think the dialogue needs a little tightening up too as it's a bit clunky.

Quote: gappy @ 21st December 2013, 10:59 AM GMT

Perhaps the reveal could be that his parents are Stuart Maconie and Gena Yashere, professional rememberers of slightly old things.

I think that reveal would baffle most people as the average Joe would have no idea who they are.

Ok, as it's Christmas and I've got loads of time on my hands thought I'd make this into a cartoon for you MJW,

It's only for fun, I'm not very good at these sort of thing but you never know you might enjoy it!

Please let me know what you think.

The link is: http://goanimate.com/videos/0coJKXzI5g9E?utm_source=linkshare&utm_medium=linkshare&utm_campaign=usercontent

Maybe the family won a lifetime supply of Christmas presents. In 1993. And the storage costs are forcing them to sell the house. And the Robinson's next door are selling too, but they're moving somewhere nicer, because they won it in the 80's and are flush with mint-in-box star wars toys and apple computers...

Quote: Ben @ 21st December 2013, 11:59 AM GMT

As Timbo says the retro presents is a nice idea, but the punchline falls a little flat. I think the dialogue needs a little tightening up too as it's a bit clunky.

I think that reveal would baffle most people as the average Joe would have no idea who they are.

Yes. They also definitely don't live together with a young child. So, not a very serious suggestion for an ending, I admit. ;)

How about she says, "Never mind, son. Here, have a chocolate", and holds out a rancid box of rotting Matchmakers, crawling with maggots? :P

Thanks for the comments. I agree that the ending is weak. How about

Boy: on tape.
Mum: well think how I feel. I wanted a new car and your dad got me this. (Holds up a remote control car)

FunnyHaHa that is brilliant! How long did that take? Is it easy to use?

Hi,
yes it's very easy to use, I'm not very artistic and even I can create something with it! lol
it's free to use, (they do try to make you buy a subscription but you don't have to) it's easy to sign up, they give you a tutorial to help you get started.
it probably took me about an hour max, but there is so much more you can do with it if you want.

anyway glad you liked it, sorry I used my ending but I think it fitted nicely. anyway just a bit of fun. :)