Writing with a disability

So having looked at this subject coming up again I thought I'd throw my two penneth in, that and open up a thread on the subject. So that maybe it doesn't vanish into a vituperative debate.

Too hold my hand up I myself am dyspraxic and possibly dyslexic.

Does this mean I am clinically incapable of spelling, using punctuation or grammar?

Well no it's just a lot less instinctive and quick for me rather than you neuro typical types. Rather I have to take longer, to recheck and edit my work. And often I have to do this with a 24 hour break, or I'm likely to miss things.

Dyspraxia is a neurological impairment, with a strong emphasis on focus and poor short term memory. So focussing on text can be frustrating and if I'm editing something for someone, I usually need to have it on a separate device such as a pad whilst reading it. If I split the screen on a computer it's hard too focus.

This means I do make more errors than most, do I mind them being pointed out? Not at all actually it's helpful. Unless it's snide, nit picking, grammar nazism that I loath. It's a form of bullying and by and large my response is,

"great you can use the English language well, shame you've got nothing to say,"

I aim for what I call effective as opposed to accurate English. So if what I say works and can be read clearly, I'm as happy as proverbial Larry. Comedy just doesn't work with ineffective English. The most effective tool I use is reading aloud. I may not be able to read duff punctuation, I can certainly hear it.

Perversely I can't stand the attitude of, don't expect me to write coherently I'm dyslexic or dyspraxic. Sorry I know a lot of people with far greater challenges than me in this regard. If you really want to, you can at least make yourself understood fairly clearly.

I also find deep frustration in the person who says,
"I found out I was dyslexic at Uni, didn't stop me getting a first class degree and a job filling in the Queen's crosswords."
Because dig a little deeper and you find it usually means; I handed an essay in late or got a bad grade. And my lecturer said they thought I might be dyslexic or I had an appointment with student support.
More likely your spelling could be better.

I succeed at Uni third time around, and I did it with all the support, help and advice I could get. Please don't take my achievement away or belittle it, because you think adding a D word to yourself gives you more character. Those of who genuinely are more diverse know. You sound like Prince Charles claiming he's black and from Hackney to us.

So there you go, there's my hopefully legible tale of learning difficulty. Please don't stop going eh? When I seem incomprehensible or letting me know when bad English kills my jokes. But do understand where I'm coming from. That and having great English is like having a nice bum, great but not so great if you feel the need to show it off in public.

I have dyspraxia the same as you, Sooty and it has really hampered me at doing most things since I was very young.

Out of curiosity have you found that your dyspraxia has got better as you've got older? I'm 23 now and I don't seem to have as much of an issue with picking new things up as I used to - although that's not always the case.

Not really, but practise helps. That and the wisdom that comes with age.

If Mandela in senior years can face down hatred and bitterness.

Who am I to baulk at the semi colon?

I saw someone mention a font especially for dyslexics yesterday.
Opendyslexic.org
Has anyone tried it? It's pretty amazing that a different font could help people read more easily.

I am dyslexic too.

Does it hinder me? - Not one bit.
In fact, I love to read but have to read slower than your average bear Boboo.
This enables me to extract all the goodness from the words. (everyone else probably gets the same pleasure but mine lasts longer)

Something is back to front in my brain. If I am hand writing, I write 7 and 2 and d and b the wrong way around and I can't see it.

So far, I have edited this short post 3 or 4 times because of the missed 'the's and's and it's etc'

I am not making an excuse for my grammar or writing, dyslexia doesn't bother me in any way.
Like a blind man whose hearing improves to compensate - I take extra care to make sure my writing is at least readable.

My wife proofreads anything I have to submit even though I think it is faultless and always finds many mistakes.

It's actually a terrorist organisation, we're going to bomb the OED and behead theasauruse's.

But some silly sod couldn't spell front.

I kid, thanks I'll look it up.

Will it be, being made available on BCG?

I have Aspergers, dyspraxia (same as you guys), and sleep apnea. A combination of these has made me insane, plus it has given me a vastly different perspective on life, and helped me develop a sense of humour as a coping mechanism, social ingratiater and whatnot.

F**k a duck! The only disability I have is the lack of a sense of humour. I take my hat off to you guys.

Sooty - you're doing masses of paid writing work. How do you cope with that? Do you have somebody to check it?

I'm a sociopath, but I don't get a parking sticker for it.

Quote: keewik @ 7th December 2013, 10:38 PM GMT

Sooty - you're doing masses of paid writing work. How do you cope with that? Do you have somebody to check it?

Complex question with no simple answer.

1 Yes for some big jobs, or ones with lots of detail especially if the public actually need to read the result. Then I'll hire a proof reader, or possibly get my mum to do it. This is only about a tenth of the stuff I do.

2 Over the years my proof reading skills have improved, they just take me longer.

3 Stuff like tweets, web content etc is fairly easy. I mean how many errors can you make in 140 characters?

4 Not every client is that fussed about grammar and punctuation. A lot of actors prefer to do their own pauses etc and nervous best men like you to write in
CAPITALS, PAUSE WHILST AUDIENCE REALISE YOU CALLED THE BRIDE A WHORE AND LAUGH

But in many ways it's subtle. For example I doubt I'll ever win a writing contest I just don't have the focus to perfect something.

Quote: sootyj @ 7th December 2013, 1:14 PM GMT

I aim for what I call effective as opposed to accurate English. So if what I say works and can be read clearly, I'm as happy as proverbial Larry. Comedy just doesn't work with ineffective English. The most effective tool I use is reading aloud. I may not be able to read duff punctuation, I can certainly hear it.

I think you're quite right here. I've managed to make myself sound like a bit of a grammar nazi on the Ted thread, but the only time it actually bothers anyone (apart from those who just like to feel a bit superior) is if a lack of punctuation means the meaning is lost.

It's the old 'The panda eats shoots and leaves' vs. 'The panda eats, shoots and leaves' thing.

On the Ted thread I was arguing on principle, but it's actually very rare that anything on here is so badly punctuated that I have to read it twice.

I think Sooty, Ashley and others here have more than proved that not being neuro-typical (I liked that phrase) does not mean you cannot write. Must be a pain in the arse for you, though!

Writing is a pain in the arse; you have to think it up, structure it , write it down and edit etc. I'd rather be a banjo player.

http://www.badideatshirts.com/?gclid=CKi22vD3obsCFa-WtAodwT8AcQ