Sitcom or Comedy Drama?

Ok you knowledgeable lot...

Which should I start writing next? a sitcom or a comedy drama? (and by 'I' I mean any of us).

Given the often quoted miniscule chances of even getting a 'Sitcom' read by anyone in the industry, never mind the even more miniscule chance that it would ever get made - added to the sheer number written each year - would my (our) efforts be better targeted at the comedy drama?

Anyone have an idea of the odds involved? It just seems so rare that an original sitcom from a 'new' writer would end up on our screens. Am I right in thinking that a pilot for a new Comedy drama with series potential might stand a better chance of getting noticed?
Are there many more new 'My Family',' Father Ted' and 'Inbetweeners' submitted than 'Doc Martin', 'Death in Paradise' and 'Boston Legals'?

Should I aspire to be John Sullivan or Billy Ivory?

Regards

playfull

What do you want to do? Do that.

If you feel you have a comedy drama in you, I'd go for that.
I think it'll teach you more about the broader world of writing.
Sitcoms are a very specific format - almost a rule unto themselves.

Try for a sitcom and if it's not funny, call it a comedy drama.

Quote: Tiggy @ October 9 2013, 10:39 PM BST

And if it gets slated in critique - a drama...

Quote: Lazzard @ October 9 2013, 10:21 PM BST

If you feel you have a comedy drama in you, I'd go for that.
I think it'll teach you more about the broader world of writing.
Sitcoms are a very specific format - almost a rule unto themselves.

Quote: MCharsley @ October 9 2013, 8:58 PM BST

What do you want to do? Do that.

Good advice, but the question I am asking I suppose is, from a potential 'career' point of view, is there any point in writing a sitcom?

From my (very very limited experience) it is difficult to get any original piece from a first time writer made. If they are interested, they want to get a couple of big boy writers to come and take over assist you. You snap their hand off, obviously. But that's another story.

As a baby, they just do not know if they can trust you to work well in the industry. Can you collaborate, do last minute re-writes, work to a brief? They don't know.

More likely, whatever you write will be a calling card to jobs on existing shows. If you can write sitcom, the hardest of all the genres, the chances are you can turn your hand to something else.

So write what you want to write - I find writing hard enough, without trying to please someone other than myself.

You're a talented writer, Playfull - I reckon you'll be fine. :)

Comedy Series :)

Quote: playfull @ October 9 2013, 10:46 PM BST

Good advice, but the question I am asking I suppose is, from a potential 'career' point of view, is there any point in writing a sitcom?

I don't know what's more likely to get a bite, but there's always a demand for good, new sitcom ideas. I don't see why a first time comedy drama script would be any more likely to get made than a sitcom. Just because a script is unlikely to get made, that doesn't mean it's pointless. A great first script would act as a calling card and get you noticed.

All sound advice I think. I'll chuck in my two penneth as it's far easier than coming up with a brilliant opening scene that I've been failing to do for days.

It's important to write something you believe in and enjoy writing, you could be working on it for a year or two, even if it doesn't get commissioned. It is often said that radio is an easier medium to get into, it's still pretty difficult but may offer more opportunities for a new writer.

Another question to answer might be how you define career. It is possible to earn money from a script that never gets made. Is the goal to create and write for a broadcast sitcom or to earn a living as a writer? (hopefully with long term progression from one to the other)

What ever you choose, good luck!

The appetite for studio sitcom is still very large, especially for BBC1 which is the least-pitched channel comedy-wise. And it's very, very difficult to get right, believe me. Especially since it's a flagship channel and so many people get involved and can start pulling in different directions. But then all the rules will no-doubt change soon so what I'd say to you is just write from the heart. Ask yourself what you enjoy most and write that.

Quote: Jennie @ October 10 2013, 9:00 AM BST

From my (very very limited experience) it is difficult to get any original piece from a first time writer made. If they are interested, they want to get a couple of big boy writers to come and take over assist you. You snap their hand off, obviously. But that's another story.

As a baby, they just do not know if they can trust you to work well in the industry. Can you collaborate, do last minute re-writes, work to a brief? They don't know.

More likely, whatever you write will be a calling card to jobs on existing shows. If you can write sitcom, the hardest of all the genres, the chances are you can turn your hand to something else.

So write what you want to write - I find writing hard enough, without trying to please someone other than myself.

You're a talented writer, Playfull - I reckon you'll be fine. :)

I fully endorse this post. :)

I know size isn't important but generally Sitcoms are 30 minutes and Comedy Dramas are 60 minutes.

Quote: Tiggy @ 9th October 2013, 9:39 PM

Seems a lot of writers have copied this blueprint.

As I mentioned in the Witchfinder thread I suppose it becomes comedy drama when there is a serialised story as opposed to a different story every week.

Not sure it's that simple.
There are several shows that people would call SitComs that have an ongoing storyline - as you sited in the other thread "Goodnight Sweetheart" - which I would put very much in the SitCom category. Even Miranda had a will they/won't they thread.
Old School Sit-Com would always re-set, it was as if the characters had no memory of previous episodes.
I'm not sure SitCom is even a very useful term anymore - apart from describing comedy programs of the past.
A lot of it is to do with the move from studio/multi-camera set-ups to single camera ext/int .
Alf says he can describe the genre in ten seconds - perhaps he should have a go.
But the "if I think its funny, it's sitcom" argument is spectacularly unhelpful.

Ok I'll have a go with

A character led (half hour) TV show narrated around a (different) situation (each episode) scripted and played for laughs.

Quote: Lazzard @ 12th March 2022, 1:33 PM

There are several shows that people would call SitComs that have an ongoing storyline

That's fine in sitcom as long as each episode has its own conclusion. If it doesn't, then it's an ongoing comedy or at worst a light soap masquerading as a sitcom.