Online Dating Page 2

I dread to think what I'd get back . .

'Hi I'm Dave aged 67. What have you got in stock?'

All advice welcome for my older son. Think he tried one site without success - maybe they don't fancy the mother-in-law!

Oooh..how old is your son, Keewik?

My friend is a lovely girl. Maybe we could solve both our problems..

Quote: keewik @ August 18 2013, 10:07 PM BST

maybe they don't fancy the mother-in-law!

I might !

:D

Quote: Jennie @ August 18 2013, 2:20 PM BST

Problem is, it seems like my idea of hell. How can you know if you are attracted to someone if you've never met them? What if you have nothing to talk about?

Kind of the point of internet dating is that you get to know one another a bit before you meet in person.

On the physical attraction issue, the only practical advice I would give is don't go thinking, "well, maybe they don't photograph well..."

Quote: Oldrocker @ August 18 2013, 10:13 PM BST

I might !

Rocker you're the kind of gent they don't left in old folks homes

Quote: Jennie @ August 18 2013, 2:20 PM BST

Anyone know which is the best site to use?

If you read the Guardian, then Soulmates; if you read the Telegraph, then Parship; if you read the Sport, then F**kbuddies.com.

Quote: Tursiops @ August 18 2013, 10:45 PM BST

On the physical attraction issue, the only practical advice I would give is don't go thinking, "well, maybe they don't photograph well..."

I don't know. I suppose for me it's not really about a photograph - the men I fancy are generally considered pretty ugly.

I have a theory that personality quality is inversely proportionate to physical beauty. Less attractive people have to spend longer cultivating a decent personality to keep up in this world.

But that being said, there still has to be chemistry. I suppose I don't see how you can know the zing is there over the internet.

However - there seems to have been lots of success on this thread. So I am going to get online and get my friend a boyfriend.

(Unless there are any takers here - she is 36, really lovely and just wants to settle down and have a hundred babies. Anyone??)

Quote: sootyj @ August 18 2013, 10:46 PM BST

Rocker you're the kind of gent they don't left in old folks homes

To quote Hancock . . .

'When the petals start dropping off, the bees don't come around anymore.'

Quote: Jennie @ August 18 2013, 11:16 PM BST

the men I fancy are generally considered pretty ugly.

Dusts off photo with ginormous Jew fro and 8 inch beard, with Peter Sutcliffe smile.

Quote: Jennie @ August 18 2013, 11:16 PM BST

I don't know. I suppose for me it's not really about a photograph - the men I fancy are generally considered pretty ugly.

I have a theory that personality quality is inversely proportionate to physical beauty. Less attractive people have to spend longer cultivating a decent personality to keep up in this world.

But that being said, there still has to be chemistry. I suppose I don't see how you can know the zing is there over the internet.

However - there seems to have been lots of success on this thread. So I am going to get online and get my friend a boyfriend.

(Unless there are any takers here - she is 36, really lovely and just wants to settle down and have a hundred babies. Anyone??)

You absolutely can't know there's that zing online. That's why you eventually arrange to meet.

It sounds like it'd be definitely not a profitable experience for you, as unless you can find a really good site that allows you to search by interests and other more cerebral matters, it really all relies completely on an initial physical atttaction.

Some sites will do a personality test and claim to match you with suitably similar/complementary others of course, but you still then have to take the plunge and initiate contact based on little more than looks. But maybe as a female you can wait for men to approach you, then see how their personality comes across in a first message.

I met my bf through online dating. We've been together for 3.5 years. I was in a similar situation to you. My friend wanted to start it and said I should start it with her. She met a man through it and they now own a house together.

My only tip is: You don't have to answer all the messages you get. Remember that it's a dating service so people don't just want to have a nice chat. If you get something obnoxious or clearly not for you ("HI babe, totes hot for u") then ignore it. The guy will forget he sent it. I only answered back to messages that were clearly thought out and didn't look like they'd been sent en masse to as many women as possible. If the person wasn't for me, I politely made that clear in my reply. A lot of my friends were doing it at the same time and answered all the messages they got. They ended up in annoying/stalkerish conversations with millions of weirdos. Be selective about who you answer to!!!

Also, I used OKCupid (a free service). I found Plenty of Fish to be full of people who wanted to show me photos of their knob. I have a feeling that site is better for men than women...

I believe POF has changed its site recently to cut down on such people and focus on those looking for a relationship.

Aaron (first of all delighted to see you back in the forums!) how about a BCG dating page?

We'll have such a carry on!

I'm open all hours!

Though perhaps not "some mothers do have them"

The number of puns from a BCG dating page would be almost too much to bear...