How critique-y should critique be? Page 3

Quote: Jennie @ August 3 2013, 7:29 PM BST

I thought it was just me! I read something, am all set to post a "well done for trying, but this isn't great for X Y Z" post, then realise that the proceeding four comments all say it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Then I feel I either have bad judgement or would be spoiling the party a bit if I posted my comment. So I don't.

People taking the time to provide helpful criticism of my sitcom has improved it. To me, this forum is a valid resource.

Definitely not just you, some of the over-the-top praise for mediocre skits make me feel like I'm the only one staring at the Emperor's todger.

Something that isn't so subjective; how goddamn ugly scripts/sketches look in a forum thread. If only there was a portable document-type format

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3s3NhaMDLGkcWhhSXdBUVI3U3M/edit?usp=sharing

Quote: Ulysses @ August 3 2013, 9:36 PM BST

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3s3NhaMDLGkcWhhSXdBUVI3U3M/edit?usp=sharing

Interesting. My script is in Final Draft. Do you know any way of linking that to the forum?

It would save a lot of hassle - I have to spend ages getting it looking reasonable once I've posted it.

Quote: Jennie @ August 3 2013, 9:43 PM BST

Interesting. My script is in Final Draft.

Fancy pants. I've worked with prods and pitched to channels and I still use Word and the Tab button. 'Cos I'm cheap.

I should prob get it at some point. I mean, I suppose. It's what you do. I think.

.nI'm always paranoid that I wanna so skinny false positive because I'm somebody who puts it is more experimental and silly stuff so I hope im getting positive feedback it honest

Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 3 2013, 9:45 PM BST

Fancy pants. I've developed stuff with prods and pitched to channels and I still use Word and the Tab button. 'Cos I'm cheap.

I started out with Word, but getting everything properly aligned drove me insane.

I then moved onto Celtx, but found it a bit buggy. I tried a demo of FD, loved it and bought it.

To me it was worth the money, as I could stop worrying about the formatting and concentrate on the writing. Although it is an extra £40 to get it for the ipad, which I thought was a rip off.

But you are right - at the end of the day, FD cannot write a great script for you. Which is a shame.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 3 2013, 9:46 PM BST

I should prob get it at some point. I mean, I suppose. It's what you do. I think.

Why? If you like Word, stick with Word! Writing isn't about the tools.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 3 2013, 9:46 PM BST

Fancy pants.

How did you know? :P

I used to use that BBC Word template. I forget it's name. A few times I did it the Stott way too as all software can drive you nuts.

Quote: Ben @ August 3 2013, 9:54 PM BST

I used to use that BBC Word template.

Script Smart?

I supose the bottom line is, if you think your work is already perect, why post it in Critique? Whistling nnocently

I don't really post in here, because I have a little group that I share work with - in a pub, with ale, which is something the BCG sadly can't offer - but I try to find the time to write something for every Skit Comp since I joined; then again, I've been in bands, and music reviewers are ten thousand times ruder than what people put on here, so I'd be hard to shock with putdowns, I expect ; )

I often feel odd because I'm the only one who actually critiques in the Skit Comp, most people just name their favourite. Does that make me look miserable? I hope not. To be honest, I think everyone should vote and crtitique the Skit Comp, even if they didn't enter, it's as valid, and more fun to hear what someone thinks about the sketch you bashed together on a certain theme than the script you laboured on for months.

Mind you, I think you're all shit, so it doesn't really matter.

Quote: gappy @ August 3 2013, 9:55 PM BST

I supose the bottom line is, if you think your work is already perect, why post it in Critique? Whistling nnocently

I don't really post in here, because I have a little group that I share work with - in a pub, with ale, which is something the BCG sadly can't offer - but I try to find the time to write something for every Skit Comp since I joined; then again, I've been in bands, and music reviewers are ten thousand times ruder than what people put on here, so I'd be hard to shock with putdowns, I expect ; )

I often feel odd because I'm the only one who actually critiques in the Skit Comp, most people just name their favourite. Does that make me look miserable? I hope not. To be honest, I think everyone should vote and crtitique the Skit Comp, even if they didn't enter, it's as valid, and more fun to hear what someone thinks about the sketch you bashed together on a certain theme than the script you laboured on for months.

Mind you, I think you're all shit, so it doesn't really matter.

Well said gappy, I was wondering about that with the skit comp thing as well, it seems to be some sort of sacred ground, I think even if your not in it people can maybe still throw stones at it

Quote: Jennie @ August 3 2013, 9:55 PM BST

Script Smart?

Yeah, that's the one. I wrote a couple of sitcoms in it. There were a few little niggles with the software, but I managed to cope with that as it was free.

If anyone wants to suggest a revamp of the skit-comp, to involve feedback or whatever else might be a good suggestion, I'm sure something can be arranged. You're all free to start your own comps too. Just be aware that if too many comps are running, it may get confusing.

Personally, I like the simplicity of the current skit comp but there's always room for suggestion.

Quote: Lee @ August 3 2013, 10:52 PM BST

If anyone wants to suggest a revamp of the skit-comp, to involve feedback or whatever else might be a good suggestion, I'm sure something can be arranged. You're all free to start your own comps too. Just be aware that if too many comps are running, it may get confusing.

Personally, I like the simplicity of the current skit comp but there's always room for suggestion.

I think technically the skit comp is fine as you say it is simple and clean, if anything maybe just include the line that anyone can vote even if they have not taken part,the more the merrier.

Quote: Jennie @ August 3 2013, 9:43 PM BST

Interesting. My script is in Final Draft. Do you know any way of linking that to the forum?

It would save a lot of hassle - I have to spend ages getting it looking reasonable once I've posted it.

It's just Googledocs, a cheap and cheerful way to write your script. You'll have to set-up a Google Drive and gmail account (if you don't have one), then you can work on your documents on any online computer.

Here's a quick template, it's easy to make new heading styles just be careful who you share your files with!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1L38jz_mmK__BYXv7gFB5DAtw5qBizZPHJpvNcHAtzOQ/edit?usp=sharing

note: 'command' is the mac shortcut, not sure what the windows equivalent will be - it tells you under Format>Paragraph Styles>Heading.

Quote: gappy @ August 3 2013, 9:55 PM BST

The Skitcomp isn't supposed to have critique.
It's written in the instructions - please post only your entry & vote.
It's one of the reasons why I like the Skitcomp.
If you want to give critique go to.... what's the name of that forum again?

The real big gun of Critique was James Cotter's mate and erstwhile performance buddy. Can't remember his name.