Production Company response

A few months ago I sent a script to Tiger Aspect and they were impressed with it and a script editor gave me notes and advice...More recently I sent the same script to another production company and got the total opposite response. I know not everyone will like what you do and people have their own opinion but I don't quite know how to take the response:

'I am not sure what to say - there was so little to go on - "two different blokes live in a flat, fancy women" and...?

So - it's going to have to be a pass from us I'm afraid. Maybe you could think about painting a richer picture for those not inside your head next time - I think it would help to create the impression that this is a richly conceived world.'

Is this a polite way of saying it was shit?

Also the comment: "two different blokes live in a flat, fancy women" and...?" The premise of the show was not actually that but the story for the spec was about going on a date. I seem to remember a little show called Men Behaving Badly being about "two different blokes live in a flat, fancy women" and...? but who watched that shit?!

Did you include a synopsis with the script? Those not in your head would appreciate that by the sound of it.

Did you send the same script to both companies or did you act upon Tiger Aspects' notes before sending it to the second company?

Yeah there was a synopsis and it was an edited version of the script but it was more or less the same but with the crap bits cut out, well so I thought haha

If there's not much to the basic show concept, even if well written, it can be a harder sell for the Prod Company to sell to a channel; because what do they say when asked what the show is about? What's the (shudder) USP? So that could put some people off.

"Two different blokes read scripts, and fancy that which they fancy"

So where will you go from here, will you richen-up your world? It can't hurt, or were the crap bits full of comedy richness? Did you resubmit to Tiger after your changes?

I've just started writing so make no apologies for being nosey!

If a script editor says these are the changes to get a piece possibly produced, get it changed!

I don't feel they think you're bad, they gave you feedback didn't they?

1. Tiger Aspect were impressed. That is amazing. Re-submit.

2. As for the second company, it isn't that your script is shit, it's that you didn't sell it. Tell them why they should make your sitcom.

Personally, I would cut the synopsis. I would give them a logline, some reasons why your sitcom is different to every other sitcom script they get, and the script itself.

Then make sure your first three pages are banging.

It's a way of saying I wanted to be a comedy writer, or producer. I wanted to make people laugh to bathe in the light of appreciation and adoration. I would snort cocaine from the heads of midgets whilst supermodels fellated me and bishops fisted me. I would live in a mansion on the moon and my name would be whispered in awe.

Instead I sit in a broom cupboard on a bucket, a bucket that soon will be taken away to mop a toilet with. Surrounded by 3000 scripts, mostly illegible. Half about Jimmy Saville running a nursery.

If I read them all I might get a sandwich. I'd prefer a light bulb because dark in here and I'm going blind.

Save me! Save me!

But the Tiger Aspect thing is awesome get on that quick!

I've already re-submitted to Tiger Aspect and hope to hear back soon but the people who were looking at it were busy with Benidorm so hopefully I will be hearing something soon as they are back now.

Sick So jealous...

Liam I haven't read this script but your audio thing is great.You are as funny and talented as f**k.You are doing brilliant to get a response from a production company especially a "name" one like this.The only problem is that people all have different opinions and negative opinions are not nice to read.Essentially we are all 4 year olds doing a dance in front of the visiting relatives for attention and approval.If we don't get that it hurts.It's only comedy.In the scheme of things it doesnae matter.To name drop slightly,Rob Bryden said to my old pal Mikey Hughes when asked for comedy advice-Some people will find you funny,some people wont.He's right of course.I think anyone who likes my stuff is the most intelligent and perceptive person in the world.If they don't then they're a semi-literate moron.They're usually neither of these things.Maybe you don't suit their house-style or it would be too expensive to produce or they have a full production schedule for the next 5 years.Who knows?

You're complaining about a 50% hit rate?
:O

If I was the person who had given you notes and encouraged you, then discovered that you had implemented my notes and sent the script to someone else, I'd be more than put out. There's no problem in sending a script to a number of broadcasters and production companies simultaneously, but if you get some interest and enthusiasm, then this is a contact to keep happy rather than exploit. It's a small world, and people talk to one another.

A venerable piece of advice is to have a script with someone, be writing a different project, and have an idea for a third tucked away. Given the Benidorm delay, you could have written a new idea and sent it to someone else while waiting on Tiger.

I guess I didn't really think of that Michael but the main reason I did it was because the thing with Tiger Aspect I was told that the script editor was willing to attach himself to the script but but Tiger Aspect as a company will not be committing to it as yet. I was probably a bit too eager to get it out there.

Quote: PurpleRonnie @ August 1 2013, 12:14 PM BST

I guess I didn't really think of that Michael but the main reason I did it was because the thing with Tiger Aspect I was told that the script editor was willing to attach himself to the script but but Tiger Aspect as a company will not be committing to it as yet. I was probably a bit too eager to get it out there.

I'm sure there's no harm done, but if you think of the process...the script editor wants to be involved in your project, which is a brilliant first step. So you work with her or him to get the script to the point where the next person up sees it, and decides whether or not to option or commission it. That could take a number of weeks or months, whichever company or broadcaster you're dealing with. Maybe three drafts before it goes to Mr Cavey, or whoever. All for no money of course, but I'd say worth the investment of time because you have an influential ally, you're learning from the experience, and if this one doesn't work for Tiger, if you're talented and diligent and good to work with, there's an open door for your next idea. And if the script editor leaves for a better job/producing job elsewhere, then you've got an entree with Tiger and an entree with someone else. All the very best with it, and with your next idea!