- Omid Djalili, Miranda Hart, Richard Schiff, Yigal Naor, Stewart Scudamore, James Floyd, Archie Panjabi, Leah Fatania and more
- David Baddiel
- Josh Appignanesi
- Stewart Le Marechal, Uzma Hasan, David Baddiel, Advind Ethan David, Omid Djalili, Cavan Ash, Jeremy Amias, Yoni Magid and Shahin Sobhani
Meet Mahmud Nasir (Omid Djalili). Loving husband, doting father and something of a "relaxed" Muslim.
Does the "F" word occasionally pass his lips? It's hardly worth mentioning. Does he say his prayers five times a day? Of course! Well, usually... Does he fast every day of Ramadan? Who's counting anyway?
He may not be the most observant, but in his heart he is as Muslim as it gets. But after his mother's death a discovery turns Mahmud's world upside down. He finds his birth certificate, which sets in motion a series of revelations: not only was he adopted at birth... but he's Jewish, and his original name was Solly Shimshillewitz.
Such a discovery would be hard to cope with at the best of times, but his son's girlfriend is about to become the step-daughter of hardline Egyptian Islamic preacher Arshad Al-Masri.
As Mahmud tumbles headlong into a full scale identity crisis, the only person he can turn to is Lenny (Richard Schiff): a drunk, bitter Jewish American cabbie who agrees to give him lessons in Jewishness, which start with how to dance like Topol. Oy vey.
- A Comedy of Ethnic Proportions
- UK certificate
- 105 minutes
- Box office
- Most recent repeats
- Sunday 19th July 2015 at 11:20pm on BBC2
- Sunday 28th June 2015 at 1:00am on BBC2
- Saturday 14th February 2015 at 1:00am on BBC2