- Bill Nighy, Imelda Staunton, Dominic West, Paddy Considine, Andrew Scott, George MacKay, Joe Gilgun, Ben Schnetzer and more
- Stephen Beresford
- Matthew Warchus
- David Livingstone, Cameron McCracken, Christine Langan and James Clayton
It's the summer of 1984 - Margaret Thatcher is in power and the National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) is on strike.
In London, a group of gay and lesbian activists decides to raise money to support the families of striking miners, dubbing themselves the LGSM (Lesbians & Gays Support the Miners). But there is a problem: the NUM is deeply homophobic and does not want their support.
The LGSM is not deterred. They decide to ignore the Union and go direct to the miners. They identify a mining village in deepest Wales and set off in a mini bus to make their donation in person. And so begins the extraordinary story of two alien communities who find common ground and form a surprising partnership.
For many from both sides, there are surprising revelations and moments of enlightenment along the way.
- UK certificate
- 120 minutes
- UK release
- Friday 12th September 2014
- Camera set-up
- Single camera
- Most recent repeats
- Saturday 3rd July 2021 at 11:00pm on BBC2
- Monday 1st July 2019 at 12:30am on BBC2
- Sunday 30th July 2017 at 10:00pm on BBC2
- Pinewood Studios
- London, Onllwyn, Banwen and Home Counties - Location filming