- Sally Hawkins, Bob Hoskins, Miranda Richardson, Geraldine James, Rosamund Pike, Andrea Riseborough, Daniel Mays, Jaime Winstone and more
- William Ivory
- Nigel Cole
- Elizabeth Karlsen, Stephen Woolley, Christine Langan, Tim Haslam, Norman Merry and Paul White
Comedy drama charting the fight of female factory workers for equal pay.
Sally Hawkins stars as Rita O'Grady, the catalyst for the 1968 Ford Dagenham strike by 187 sewing machinists which led to the advent of the Equal Pay Act. Working in extremely impoverished conditions for long arduous hours which they must balance with their domestic lives, the women at the Ford Dagenham plant finally lose their patience when they are reclassified as "unskilled".
With humour, common sense and courage they take on their corporate paymasters, an increasingly belligerent local community, the unions, and finally the government itself.
The leader of the women's struggle is fast-talking, no nonsense Rita whose fiery temper and unpredictability proves to be a match for any of her male opponents, and is echoed by Barbara Castle's struggle in the male-dominated House of Commons.
- UK certificate
- 113 minutes
- UK release
- Friday 1st October 2010
- Also known as
- Dagenham Girls (Working title)
- Camera set-up
- Single camera
- Most recent repeats
- Friday 1st January 2021 at 2:10am on BBC1
- Saturday 16th May 2020 at 10:30pm on BBC4
- Sunday 22nd March 2020 at 10:35pm on BBC1
- England and Wales - Filmed on location