- Alan Bennett and Malcolm Mowbray
- Michael Palin, Maggie Smith, Denholm Elliott, Richard Griffiths, Tony Haygarth, John Normington, Bill Paterson, Liz Smith and others
- Alan Bennett
- Malcolm Mowbray
- Mark Shivas, George Harrison and Denis O'Brien
In post-war, austerity 1947 Britain, life is dominated by food rationing and the strict orders of social climbing.
And in a small Yorkshire town, near the top of the social pecking order are the local property owner, doctor and account; a trio of businessmen who've got together with a local farmer to raise an illicit pig in order to impress county bigwigs by hosting a sumptuous dinner to celebrate heir to the throne Princess Elizabeth's marriage to Prince Philip.
For newcomers Joyce Chilvers and husband Gilbert, a chiropodist, life is very different indeed. She longs to climb the ladder of local society but his business annoys Doctor Swavey from the off, and a series of unfortunate mishaps don't help matters any.
However, with local inspector Wormold on a tyrannical hunt for illegal meat, Joyce spots an opportunity when Gilbert stumbles across the group's pig, Betty, secreted in nearby woodland. It seems that a spot of good old-fashioned blackmail is called for.
- UK certificate
- 94 minutes
- Release date
- Friday 23rd November 1984
- Production company
- Music composed and conducted by John Du Prez, performed by The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.
- Laugh track
View recording details
- Last repeat
- Monday 1st October 2018 at 12:55am on Film4