Paris Page 2

It's really not as bad as I thought it would be. It suffers from a lack of budget and sax heavy theme song, but I'd think if you like Father Ted it'd be worth watching. Linehan and Matthews cameo... which is always a little treat.

Having finally got around to watching it last summer, I rather think I prefer Paris to Father Ted.

I got hold of a copy of this on DVD earlier in the week as I wanted to write a piece on it for my blog. I've watched the first two episodes so far and it's not too bad.

The historical setting gives it a Blackadder edge and Neil Morrisey's character Rochet seems like a cross between the bumbling Percy/Prince Regent characters. Alexei Sayle isn't the greatest actor in the world and, as usual, seems prone to be capable of little more than shouting and pulling faces. Sayle's character of Degout has shades of Ted Crilly as he's not averse to doing anything for fame or money.

There's some laugh out loud moments, but not bucketloads although there are some really nice lines in amongst the deadwood. I think trapping Degout, Rochet and whoever the Italian is together would have been a better move as there's always a lot of conflict between them.

All in all, I'd say it's a decent enough watch, but feels more like a warm up for Father Ted which wasn't far away.

I really want to see this.

Paris was brilliant !!!!

One of the funniest sitcoms on at the time. A great shame it was taken off and never shown again. But then, TV companies often do that with really good stuff, and then constantly repeat the rubbish. Alexei Sayle was excellent in this, one of his best roles. I may have some episodes on tape somewhere.

Anyway, who gives a damn what the critics say, what the hell do they know ?

I still love Paris. I got the DVD from stojo around 2010 and still watch it once a year. Compared to the rubbish series that have been on Channel 4 this year it still holds up well. Biggest gripe/mistake is the cheap sets they used. All the guest parts are top notch too. Why on God's Earth has this been shunted away and never put out on DVD? 25 years is a long time for a show to be shelved and never mentioned or shown again in some way, like 4 On Demand or some type of far flung internet channel at least.

Quote: tonecapone @ 6th December 2019, 11:28 PM

Why on God's Earth has this been shunted away and never put out on DVD? 25 years is a long time for a show to be shelved and never mentioned or shown again in some way, like 4 On Demand or some type of far flung internet channel at least.

I think there's a good chance Linehan has blocked it. I don't believe he's fond of the series.

The whole series (or most of it) is available here: