March Diary Page 3

And plenty of callbacks to earlier setups too, if people look deeper than the character to the actual writing, very cleverly done ;)

I've just read it again btw, dead ace :)

There is nothing wrong with 'Not getting it' or not finding it funny, that applies to loads of comedy.
It is also over the top on the masturbation etc as it makes it seem a tad immature. For me the indifference of the character and its complete lack of moral fiber I found to be very funny.

Well said Ted... For me this is a "peep show" esq sketch, an I personally don't like peep show, but I think that's only because I don't like Mitchell & Webb... But every time I watch the program, it does drag me in, and I do laugh... It's a very clever style of comedy, even if you don't like the character, or the actor playing them, it draws you in, and it draws you in very quickly... I would personally like a Facebook or BCG where I could read this every day in real time, it would give me a daily chuckle... The character is a tosser (I don't mean the writer btw) but the comic style is ace :)

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ November 30 2012, 11:05 PM GMT

I beg to differ, comedy is subjective and just because you don't 'Get It' it doesn't mean it's no good nor does it deserve to be panned because you can't relate to it.
I think it covers subjects that are hard to get away with unless its funny and that was funny, its a matter of taste not judgement.

Your argument is a logical Moebius strip. You're saying it's beyond judgement because critique is a matter of taste, but that you like it, so it's judged to be funny.

The 'you don't Get It' argument is another way of using words to say absolutely nothing. Is it not possible to 'Get' something and still not enjoy it? As far as this piece of work goes, I don't think I'm labouring under any confusion, I just didn't find it entertaining. The OP asked for critique, I gave mine, and he was gracious about it. I appreciate your enthusiasm for the work but it doesn't do you or the OP any favours to go telling other people their opinions are invalid.

Stopping short of taking my socks off and making a set of 'Explanation Puppets' I have no idea how to help you?

I found it funny, you never get over it and move on.

Well fair play to Nigel (as we say in wales) this thread has been the livliest critique thread I have seen in a while. And I think what has come out of it is each to their own, I say tomato you say tomato.

As we say in Liverpool 'Fazakerley!'

thanks to all.

my conclusion: this piece splits opinion.

Maybe I'll try and re-write it and cut 50% of the tugging out.

And make the character a bit more idiotic / likeable.

That way it will appeal to more peeps, perhaps?

thanks for all the positive comments.

(and the constructive criticism.)

it's provided me with really good insight!

Quote: David Bussell @ December 1 2012, 10:09 AM GMT

Your argument is a logical Moebius strip. You're saying it's beyond judgement because critique is a matter of taste, but that you like it, so it's judged to be funny.

The 'you don't Get It' argument is another way of using words to say absolutely nothing. Is it not possible to 'Get' something and still not enjoy it? As far as this piece of work goes, I don't think I'm labouring under any confusion, I just didn't find it entertaining. The OP asked for critique, I gave mine, and he was gracious about it. I appreciate your enthusiasm for the work but it doesn't do you or the OP any favours to go telling other people their opinions are invalid.

David if your bothering with this thread do you fancy joining me on a jabberwocky hunt?

As we say in Manchester bobbins :)