Bloody Writer's Block Page 2

Quote: Matthew Stott @ July 11 2012, 7:41 PM BST

I think 'Writers Block' is just something that manifests if you're having to sit and force something out because you're on a deadline and don't have the luxury of letting it ferment and come out when it's ready. You're trying to bypass the natural process your brain and your imagination needs to go through because you don't have the time.

You're pretty spot on there, Mr Stott. Weirdly, editors don't care though. And in turn, neither do bank managers.

Quote: DeathbyMonkey @ July 11 2012, 7:35 PM BST

Thanks IR that is terrifically helpful - and the first line is certainly key. It allows you to find a thread line to hang everything else on.

It's not expecting to, it's needing to. And secondly re-writing old cliched opinions makes you a hack. And thirdly offering unhelpful BS opinions makes you a prick :) (the smiley face means I'm joking :) ) No but seriously, that's not the definition of hack.

Its not a BS opinion, I think it is quite well informed. The statue of Rodin's Le Penseur is either in the French or the English :)

Quote: DeathbyMonkey @ July 11 2012, 7:35 PM BST

(the smiley face means I'm joking :) )

Oh, come on.

The 'smiley face' is the standard way of being 'passive aggressive' on an internet forum.

The 'pirate face' is 'aggressive passive'

Pirate

(Writer's Block is a first world problem, a bit like chronic fatigue syndrome)

So you're saying Developing world writers who have difficulties are just lazy?

You bloody racist!

Quote: sootyj @ July 11 2012, 9:47 PM BST

You bloody racist!

It's a fair cop.

(And thank God for that, I'd hate it to be a black cop)

Pirate Pirate Pirate Pirate Pirate Pirate Pirate Pirate Pirate Pirate Pirate Pirate

Quote: sootyj @ July 11 2012, 7:36 PM BST

Welcome back Lee!

Just passin' through pardner. Seriously though, calling it Writer's Block makes it sound grander than it actually is, almost like it's a medical condition. Telling somebody you've got Writer's Block is more likely to elicit a sympathetic response than just saying "Can I balls think of anything to write" which is the truth of it.

I wonder if it happens in any other profession?

"Can you change the washer on my tap please?"
"Sorry mate, Plumber's Block".

Well nice to see you on your road to the top

Quote: Lee Henman @ July 11 2012, 10:13 PM BST

Seriously though, calling it Writer's Block makes it sound grander than it actually is, almost like it's a medical condition. Telling somebody you've got Writer's Block is more likely to elicit a sympathetic response than just saying "Can I balls think of anything to write" which is the truth of it.

I wonder if it happens in any other profession?

"Can you change the washer on my tap please?"
"Sorry mate, Plumber's Block".

This is perfectly true, but the question remains: how do you overcome 'can I balls think of anything to write' when faced by such a situation?

The OP asked for advice not whether writer's block is accurately named or only exists in the developed world or whether getting it makes you a hack ad nauseum.

So far only two people have given him any.

So, coming back to the point of this thread, what do you do when 'can I balls think of anything to write' happens to you?

And if it never happens to you, well that's great but as far as this thread is concerned, it just means you're in no position to offer advice.

Or do you just enjoy mocking the afflicted?

And by the way, check out my bylines here: http://www.therakeandherald.tv/travel/travelstory.php?id=153 and here: http://www.therakeandherald.tv/booze/boozestory.php?id=157 and here: http://www.therakeandherald.tv/society/societystory.php?id=144.

I'm proud to be a hack.

Quote: Ignatius Rake @ July 11 2012, 11:10 PM BST

The OP asked for advice not whether writer's block is accurately named or only exists in the developed world or whether getting it makes you a hack ad nauseum.

What advice do you think the OP was actually asking for and in the context of what? Because I for one don't know.

Quote: Ignatius Rake @ July 11 2012, 11:10 PM BST

This is perfectly true, but the question remains: how do you overcome 'can I balls think of anything to write' when faced by such a situation?

So far only two people have given him any.

So, coming back to the point of this thread, what do you do when 'can I balls think of anything to write' happens to you?

And if it never happens to you, well that's great but as far as this thread is concerned, it just means you're in no position to offer advice.

Or do you just enjoy mocking the afflicted?

And by the way, check out my bylines here: http://www.therakeandherald.tv/travel/travelstory.php?id=153 and here: http://www.therakeandherald.tv/booze/boozestory.php?id=157 and here: http://www.therakeandherald.tv/society/societystory.php?id=144.

I'm proud to be a hack.

I didn't mean to mock anyone, sorry if that's how it came out.

Yes I do suffer from "Can I balls think of anything to write" and it's frustrating, but there really isn't anything you can do apart from plough on until the juices begin to flow, especially if you do it for a living. There's no bigger motivator than a mortgage due. Personally when I'm really stuck though, I find that walking helps. There's nothing worse than staring at a blank computer screen. I get most of my ideas when I'm walking the dog. (Which might explain why some of them are shit).

By the way I never called you a hack.
:)

Quote: Lee Henman @ July 11 2012, 11:29 PM BST

I didn't mean to mock anyone, sorry if that's how it came out.

Yes I do suffer from "Can I balls think of anything to write" and it's frustrating, but there really isn't anything you can do apart from plough on until the juices begin to flow, especially if you do it for a living. There's no bigger motivator than a mortgage due. Personally when I'm really stuck though, I find that walking helps. There's nothing worse than staring at a blank computer screen. I get most of my ideas when I'm walking the dog. (Which might explain why some of them are shit).

By the way I never called you a hack.

My apologies, if you you thought that I thought that you had called me a hack - some taxi bloke inferred it earlier and in my messy way I failed to make this clear.

Sorry, you got caught in the crossfire. (I'd put an emoticon here but I haven't a clue what any of them mean and never have done so just imagine one that's offering you a pint).

Anyway, thanks for offering some advice. I agree, walking is an excellent method, although my personal favourite, as I previously explained, is sitting in a quiet bar with a pen and paper.

Well, gotta go. I really do have stuff to write and no I'm not suffering from any 'block'. I was just having a tea break.

does this one mean 'laters'?

Wave

Sweet dreams all. Gotta go.

Quote: Jinky @ July 11 2012, 9:45 PM BST

Oh, come on.

The 'smiley face' is the standard way of being 'passive aggressive' on an internet forum.

The 'pirate face' is 'aggressive passive'

Pirate

(Writer's Block is a first world problem, a bit like chronic fatigue syndrome)

Hey Jinky, I'll admit I was tired and irritable when I wrote that at a (seemingly) hostile response which did irk me, but I wouldn't have responded if I was wasn't responding in jest - it made me smile which is why I wrote it. Wasn't supposed to be a hostile response back.

Chronic Fatigue is a very real and very misunderstood illness btw

Quote: Marc P @ July 11 2012, 11:24 PM BST

What advice do you think the OP was actually asking for and in the context of what? Because I for one don't know.

I thought I was quite clear, maybe you don't have the issue where you know what you want to say but can't seem to write in a way that reads well. That's all I was asking for (mostly just release frustration at getting stuck) and I got some helpful feedback.

I didn't realise it would be such a contentious issue - I thought it was fairly standard to get a block of creativity - and no I don't see it as a big type illness, just a simple block on the creative process.

Well the simple answer might seem trite, but just write the crap and then later on edit it and make it good. Sometimes just cutting stuff out is enough to do that.

Cheers Marc P

Or get someone else to look at it for you too!