Has Louis CK started a trend?

Page: 1 2 3 4
Author Topic: Has Louis CK started a trend?
JackDaniels2
This user has no avatar

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 23 2012, 3:28 PM GMT

As for the original question, Aziz Ansari, who stars in 'Park And Rec', has just released his latest stand up special in the same way as Louis.

I just listened to that, it's funny. Joe Rogan's selling his next special the same as Louis did too.

Definitely changed things, this'll be the norm soon, in a good way too, ours should do the same. I was in HMV last weekend, got Louis CK 'chewed up' DVD for £3, George Carlin 'it's bad for ya' for £4, Dave Chappele 'Killing them softly' for £6 and a double Jim Jeffries pack for £6, 2-disc Hicks documentary for £7. Meanwhile, Milican, Howard, Manford and Gilbert's DVDs (new and old specials) were still about £14.99-17.99.. I said to the guy at the till, you're a disgrace selling these so cheaply and them so dear, he said, head office sets the prices based on what sells. The Rolling Stones doc was £4, the Take That Reuinion tour was £16.99 blu-ray. Things should be priced according to quality, not demmand.

Anyway, where were we? Yeah, Louis CK has started a trend.
Quote this post

Garry Lee

My thoughts on this:
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/garry-lee/gaffigans-new-standup_b_1284173.html

^ Jim Gaffigan is releasing his next special like this too.

I need to remember to buy Aziz Ansari's special.

Visit the author's Website Quote this post

David Bussell
Resigned Member

Quote: JackDaniels2 @ March 23 2012, 8:11 PM GMT

I said to the guy at the till, you're a disgrace selling these so cheaply and them so dear.

All things considered, you're lucky he didn't punch you in the face.

"Chaucer of chuckles"
www.davidbussell.com

DougWonnacott
This user has no avatar

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 23 2012, 3:28 PM GMT

No, there's a third series coming.

Whoops! My mistake. Didn't do my research. I was basing that on what he said in the interview extra on his stand up DVD. I guess maybe it was cancelled, then recommissioned. Or maybe I just don't know what I'm talking about.
Quote this post

Matthew Stott

Quote: DougWonnacott @ March 25 2012, 6:18 PM GMT

Whoops! My mistake. Didn't do my research. I was basing that on what he said in the interview extra on his stand up DVD. I guess maybe it was cancelled, then recommissioned. Or maybe I just don't know what I'm talking about.

Depends which stand up special that was; he did have another show, 'Lucky Louie', on HBO that was cancelled after one season in about 2006/07-ish; before his current show, 'Louie'.

JackDaniels2
This user has no avatar

Quote: David Bussell @ March 24 2012, 9:51 AM GMT

All things considered, you're lucky he didn't punch you in the face.

It's not all things considered though, is it, all things considered would include me saying it in a way which meant the hmv guy knew what I meant.

Nevertheless David my dear old chap, what a buffoon one was! And how jolly good of yourself to hold an opinion on the matter.
Quote this post

sootyj

Bussell has posted in the past about working at a video shop and liking the occaisonal 'refreshment' or two

David Bussell
Resigned Member

Quote: JackDaniels2 @ March 26 2012, 6:52 AM BST

It's not all things considered though, is it, all things considered would include me saying it in a way which meant the hmv guy knew what I meant.

Nevertheless David my dear old chap, what a buffoon one was! And how jolly good of yourself to hold an opinion on the matter.

I meant that I had considered "all", and within that all-encompassing sphere was the notion that calling a minimum wage paid worker a "disgrace" for not selling CDs at a price one deemed worthy could very well have earned one a crack in one's mouth. It would also, ironically, make one exactly the sort of self-entitled, "everything's great and we've never been less happy" person Louis CK rails against in his CD, "Hilarious"; available in all good HMVs.

"Chaucer of chuckles"
www.davidbussell.com

JackDaniels2
This user has no avatar

Quote: David Bussell @ March 26 2012, 8:23 AM BST

I meant that I had considered "all", and within that all-encompassing sphere was the notion that calling a minimum wage paid worker a "disgrace" for not selling CDs ...blah-blah-blah... It would also, ironically, make one exactly the sort of self-entitled, ...blah-blah-blah... all good HMVs.

Quote this post

David Bussell
Resigned Member

Quote: JackDaniels2 @ March 26 2012, 9:14 AM BST

I know you are, but what am I?

"Chaucer of chuckles"
www.davidbussell.com

Alfred J Kipper
This user has no avatar

Quote: Chappers @ January 24 2012, 5:32 PM GMT

Who on earth is Louis CK?

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 24 2012, 6:41 PM GMT

Yet another yank stand up comedian who only has to show his face to an over excited audience of fellow yanks who scream their heads off at someone in a teeshirt shouting rude words in a faux angry manner and going "whoo, whoo" a lot.

Quote: Chappers @ January 25 2012, 3:23 PM GMT

Oh, glad I've never hear of him then.

Yes, so am I.
Quote this post

Monster Scum Bag

Quote: JackDaniels2 @ March 23 2012, 8:11 PM GMT

Definitely changed things, this'll be the norm soon, in a good way too, ours should do the same. I was in HMV last weekend, got Louis CK 'chewed up' DVD for £3, George Carlin 'it's bad for ya' for £4, Dave Chappele 'Killing them softly' for £6 and a double Jim Jeffries pack for £6, 2-disc Hicks documentary for £7. Meanwhile, Milican, Howard, Manford and Gilbert's DVDs (new and old specials) were still about £14.99-17.99.. I said to the guy at the till, you're a disgrace selling these so cheaply and them so dear, he said, head office sets the prices based on what sells. The Rolling Stones doc was £4, the Take That Reuinion tour was £16.99 blu-ray. Things should be priced according to quality, not demmand.

I guess we should just be happy to have such greatness at bargain prices.

"Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense."
- The Comedian, Watchmen, Alan Moore

Matthew Stott

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ March 26 2012, 11:35 AM BST

Yes, so am I.

Your loss, he's brilliant.

DougWonnacott
This user has no avatar

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 25 2012, 7:32 PM BST

Depends which stand up special that was; he did have another show, 'Lucky Louie', on HBO that was cancelled after one season in about 2006/07-ish; before his current show, 'Louie'.

That's it! I didn't realize he had had two sitcoms
Quote this post

Garry Lee

http://jimgaffigan.com/

Jim Gaffigan's new $5 special has just been released.

http://azizansari.com/

Aziz Ansari's new $5 special came out a few weeks ago.

https://buy.louisck.net/

You can still get Louis CK's $5 special here.

Are there any others that have been released, or are going to be released soon?

Page: 1 2 3 4