THE SITCOM TRIALS - October 21st 2011 Manchester Page 12

Quote: Jack Daniels @ October 7 2011, 2:45 PM BST

Ta da, just like magic you happened to re-appear, 3 months later, and you're claiming you AREN'T in contact with the other guy?

Jack, to lay this to rest:

1) I follow this thread.
2) When did I claim that I wasn't in contact with Kev?

Good luck with your writing.

Cheers, Declan

Quote: Declan @ October 7 2011, 2:52 PM BST

Jack, to lay this to rest:

1) I follow this thread.
2) When did I claim that I wasn't in contact with Kev?

Cheers, Declan

declan don't waste your time explaining to this dude he's just trolling, everyone knows the score

Quote: Jack Daniels @ October 7 2011, 2:32 PM BST

This still seems to me as though maybe it's a construct for getting free content to fill a show that charges entry, yet the entrants don't see any of that door-charge

The last Manchester Sitcom Trials' door money was divided amongst the cast, and there was a prize of a stage production for the winning writer. The forthcoming Manchester Trials will work the same way, with the addition of a cash prize for the winning writer (which, as far as I can see, will end up losing the show money. As you might guess, I'm not involved with that bit of the production!)

Reading the above it seems my two yes votes might be discounted along with all the maybes as I didn't twitter review them. So re Art for Arts Sake, although I didn't like the set up business man advising on getting funding etc as a premise for a series, it didn't really get hung up on it and moved along focusing on character with some good and funny dialogue. With Not at the Allotment there was a good attempt to do something different. Would stage, perform well I thought, mainly a two hander but not lapsing into banter. It was a bit PG Wodehouse meets Gimme GImme Gimme... and you have to admire a talking pizza cutter.

Quote: cedardude @ October 7 2011, 2:55 PM BST

declan don't waste your time explaining to this dude he's just trolling, everyone knows the score

Trolling? That old chesnut? Listen fella, every single post you've made since joining this site has solely been to promote how good these competetions are, not one post on any other subject.

But you're not probably not a stooge account are you?

The organiser of the competition probably didn't enter two of his own scripts under false names.

The voting probably is entirely fair, untactical and not open to abuse.

The whole thing probably isn't designed as an excercise in self-promotion for an handful of mercenary wannabe movers and shakers.

Listen to me, anyone ANYONE looking to rip people off with their affiliations with shitty courses and rip-off classes deserve to be questioned. It's a online scourge and so called "experts" are taking the piss out of people like you who think throwing money at someone to hear tips/advice/theory you can pick up for free is going to help them.

If "Declan" is such a comedy Yoda, ask him how many shows of his own are on TV.

Quote: Jack Daniels @ October 7 2011, 3:48 PM BST

Trolling? That old chesnut? Listen fella, every single post you've made since joining this site has solely been to promote how good these competetions are, not one post on any other subject.

But you're not probably not a stooge account are you?

The organiser of the competition probably didn't enter two of his own scripts under false names.

The voting probably is entirely fair, untactical and not open to abuse.

The whole thing probably isn't designed as an excercise in self-promotion for an handful of mercenary wannabe movers and shakers.

Listen to me, anyone ANYONE looking to rip people off with their affiliations with shitty courses and rip-off classes deserve to be questioned. It's a online scourge and so called "experts" are taking the piss out of people like you who think throwing money at someone to hear tips/advice/theory you can pick up for free is going to help them.

If "Declan" is such a comedy Yoda, ask him how many shows of his own are on TV.

hahahaha ah man you need to chill your boots and I'm sorry but you lost all my respect when you post stuff like 'the odd-looking blonde dude' and have obviously not researched your own doubts about the validity of this competition before posting. I have not paid anyone a single penny nor have I met anyone affiliated with any sitcom competition, this is just a fun free way to get other peoples thoughts on your scripts

Jack (if that's your real name, I'm mature enough to use mine) I've got no problems with you questioning what we do. If you can, please admit it when you get your facts completely wrong.

I've never claimed to be an expert in sitcom writing.

I have never forced anyone to enter any competition or attend our workshops. Two people who attended our workshops are now a £5000 script commission better off, which was not decided by us but by the judges - the Comedy Commissioner for Sky TV, the Commissioning Editor, Comedy and Entertainment for ITV, the author and director of Outnumbered, the director of programming from Comedy Central and a representative from BBC TV Comedy Commissioning.

Luke: Comedy Yoda, what is the secret of comedy?

Comedy Yoda: Use the farce, Luke. Use the farce.

Have a nice weekend everyone.

Quote: evan rubivellian @ October 7 2011, 4:02 PM BST

Luke: Comedy Yoda, what is the secret of comedy?

Comedy Yoda: Use the farce, Luke. Use the farce.

Have a nice weekend everyone.

:D

Quote: Declan @ October 7 2011, 4:01 PM BST

Jack (if that's your real name, I'm mature enough to use mine) I've got no problems with you questioning what we do. If you can, please admit it when you get your facts completely wrong.

No, Jack is not my real name, it's the name of a whiskey brand and a message board username.

I'm not doing this to argue. I genuinely believe people like you and Kev F who run courses that aren't free workshops but in fact designed to separate people from their money aren't motivated by any artistic ambition but by preying, and trying to "sell" a shortcut or solution to something.

Stop wishing me "good luck". It's patronizing.

A participant of your course won the last comp ran by your bud. That is suspicious. Admit and stop trying to be some slick pr man.

I've followed the thing from it's inception in '02, and I've seen every step of the way where this is heading. Write me off as a 'troll' all you want but you what I'm saying is right. Would YOU sign up for a course like this? No, you wouldn't.

As for the Sky submissions, are you claiming that is a result of your intervention in these writers' lives? Please.

Check out the opening quotes in this thread from your buddy Mr F, https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/21785/
and then post back and tell me that doesn't scream SCAM.

Quote: Jack Daniels @ October 7 2011, 4:13 PM BST

A participant of your course won the last comp ran by your bud. That is suspicious. Admit and stop trying to be some slick pr man.

Roger Cook is back!

I like to think "Checkpoint Dave" won the August Sitcom Trials on merit, or by luck, or because it's set in 1966 and the ghost of Bobby Moore was lending support, but why not check it out for yourself (Thurs 20th and Fri 21st of October, at the Lass O'Gowrie - I'll even buy your ticket for you) - plus, you can watch the Sitcom Trials live in action on the Friday, and vote for the next winner.

I'll put my hand up to being involved in the phone hacking scandal, though.

"I can't recommend enough working with Simon and Declan.
Dean Hardman, writer of From Riga To Rotherham. Winner, The Sitcom Trials 2009"

"I just wanted to email to say thank you. I have been selected as a finalist for The Sitcom Trials and I don't think I would have done so without attending your workshop... your advice made a huge difference...
I honestly don't think I would have got anywhere near being selected without your advice so again thank you very much... if ever you need anyone convincing to attend your workshops I'm your man!
Tom Carter, Quarter-finalist, The Sitcom Trials Autumn 2009"

"I think that it exceeded all expectations. By the time of the Grand Final in May it felt like everyone had heard of it and knew what we were doing. It felt great to be a part of something that had caught the industry's attention. Oh yeah, and it was kind of fun as well...
Jules Bower, writer of The House on Cedar Street. Finalist, The Sitcom Trials 2009"

"I'd just like to say that everyone I have spoken to has been really impressed with what you have done, and we are all grateful for the excellent work you put in... Thanks again for the opportunities you provided to me and many others.
Graeme Knowles, writer of Trainspotting. Runner-up, The Sitcom Trials 2009"

"I can thoroughly recommend attending Simon and Declan's very informative comedy workshop. It is thanks to their constant berating and belittling... er, I mean advice and encouragement that I was actually able to put together a workable script that was funny, structured and made sense.

As a direct result of their guidance and expertise, I had my comedy script directed, cast and performed at the Leicester Square Theatre in front of an audience of industry big wigs. Immediately following the performance, a representative from So! Television (Graham Norton's production company) approached me and asked to represent and develop my sitcom Desperate Men. Since then, I've established relationships with a number of directors, agents and production companies... Simon and Declan really delivered... they put me in a position to have my work professionally performed on a West End stage and viewed by the toppest of bods in the entertainment industry.
James O'Shea, writer of Desperate Men, showcased in The Sitcom Trials 2009"

You wouldn't have liked 2009, Jack...!

A participant in our workshop invested in himself and won a competition.

Two participants in our workshops invested in themselves and won £5000. They also spent a lot of time checking out the venue, watching other shows and seeing how they could improve what they do.

We spend a huge amount of time telling people the odds of winning. At the last count, they were over 1200-1. We also tell them how to improve their chances.

There are plenty of scams out there, so people are entitled and encouraged to do due diligence before parting with their cash. We have been commended by Casting Call Pro for NOT taking money from actors to appear on stage, which plenty of other showcases do.

Sorry to patronise you. But I really hope you are able to channel your anger into some brilliant pieces of writing.

I'm going to make this my last post on the subject.

Cheers, Declan

Ironically I've always found Jack Daniels to be rather too sweet.

Jack, I attended one of Declan's/Simon's workshops. They are worth every penny and cheaper than other such classes. I learned so much on that day, rewrote/resubmitted my script and it didn't get shortlisted.
That's not to say I'm a naff writer, I have been so close to acceptance even by ITV, it's just that there were better writers or perhaps with better ideas etc than me in the comp.