On The Buses Page 2

Guys, come on, keep it pleasant! There was some absolutely brilliant shows "back in the day", just as there are some now, and similarly on the opposite end of the scale - and it's all relative to each person anyway. I would consider The Office to be on par with what Wheeler evidently thinks of On The Buses, but doesn't mean I'm "right", nor does it mean I'm "wrong". Comedy is individual!

Fair point Aaron.Each to their own.Nowadays though I find two comedys watchable.

Still Game is the best on the box at the mo (IMHO) and The Green Green Grass Of Home is decent and I think John Challis is a rare breed nowadays.

Quote: Aaron @ November 5, 2006, 3:27 PM

Guys, come on, keep it pleasant! There was some absolutely brilliant shows "back in the day", just as there are some now, and similarly on the opposite end of the scale - and it's all relative to each person anyway. I would consider The Office to be on par with what Wheeler evidently thinks of On The Buses, but doesn't mean I'm "right", nor does it mean I'm "wrong". Comedy is individual!

That argument works up to a point, but there is such a thing as good and bad taste. There is a right and a wrong in some cases. For example, Shakespeare is a great writer, whilst Jeffrey Archer is a talentless hack. Anyone who argues otherwise is wrong, as simple as that. Just as anyone who says that OTB is the best sitcom of all time and that all modern comedy is 'rubbish, rubbish and yet more rubbish' is deeply misguided.

Read my original post again Wheeler.I said:'In my book On The Buses is the best sitcom of all time'.That's my opinion and I am entitled to it and because I have an opinion doesn't make me mis-guided.

For me new age comedy is just now my scene and I find it as funny as a dose of the runs and you find my taste much the same no doubt so lets just leave it at that.

Quote: Wheeler @ November 5, 2006, 4:00 PM

That argument works up to a point, but there is such a thing as good and bad taste. There is a right and a wrong in some cases. For example, Shakespeare is a great writer, whilst Jeffrey Archer is a talentless hack. Anyone who argues otherwise is wrong, as simple as that. Just as anyone who says that OTB is the best sitcom of all time and that all modern comedy is 'rubbish, rubbish and yet more rubbish' is deeply misguided.

Ok, I can't really comment directly because I've not read any Archer, but I suppose I'll agree on the talents of himself and Shakespeare. But even there, different writing styles and subject matters appeal to different people.
In regards to comedy though, I really must argue otherwise. Anybody who says that any sitcom "is the best sitcom of all time" is misguided. However, if they start with "in my opinion" or similar, then fine, that's their opinion. Different shows have different styles and deal with things in different ways, which will appeal to some and not others. That's really all there is to it.

Quote: Aaron @ November 5, 2006, 4:44 PM

That's really all there is to it.

No, there's more to it than that, but it's pointless to go on with this as we'll never agree.

Proof of how this was a classic sitcom comes in the length of series it ran for (7) spawning 74 episodes,its great viewing figures,an award winner,a success in many other countries in the world so much so that the US tried its own version called Lotsa Luck and of course there was a spin-off series brought out in the UK when On The Buses finished.

More proof if you look at it comes from the quality of the writers of On The Buses who were Ronald Chesney and Ronald Wolfe.They had many other comedy successes as well just to re-iterate their talent and director Stuart Allen was also renowned for his work in the trade.The cast speaks for itself in its excellence.

It's still rubbish...in my opinion! Cool

Well thats your opinion but not the many millions who tuned into it regularly and still watch the repeats and are buying the DVD's.

Look everybody, i think that On the Buses is amazing but if wheeler or anybody else doesn't like the show that's their opinions, it doesn't bother me that some may not like it as it is not everyone's cup of tea, by the way wheeler if you are reading, do you like Rab C.

I was waiting for the 'millions of people like it' argument, which is meaningless as millions of people like all sorts of crap.

Daniel, I do like Rab C Nesbitt - thought that Gregor Fisher was great in it. I haven't seen it for a while, but I was a regular viewer during its time on the BBC.

Never for one moment have I said Wheeler wasn't/isn't entitled to his opinion.I mean Wheeler has his favourite sitcoms and I have mine and we happen to have a difference of tastes and it should just be left at that.

I did say sometime ago that we should agree to disagree, so not sure why this has dragged on. BTW, we don't have completely different tastes. I'm a big fan of Porridge, which I believe you also like.

Certainly do.Great comedy that.

Craig, have you ever seen the On The Buses sequel Dont Drink The Water