Stand up comedy courses - are they worth it?

Hi folks,

Yet another newbie on here to ask advice. I'm just about to start out in stand up and I've seen several courses advertised. I was wondering if anyone had been on these type of courses and whether or not they were any good. Any recommendations/condemnations of any particular courses?

I live in London and was considering this one - http://thecomedyschool.com/standupcomedy.shtml

As far as my current experience goes I did a gig a few years ago, and I've been writing my own material for a while - I reckon I've about 30minutes worth of stuff so far, although I know I'm going to have to edit it down into 5minute slots to start with.

All advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

TMITBH.

It's up to you. If you lack in confidence, it might be a good idea. But you won't learn anything you can't learn between gigging and researching.

I've never done a course myself, but have heard very mixed feedback! Just don't spend a lot of money.

I enjoyed the one I did.
I think it's a good way to get you prepared, get you writing material & give you a relatively stress free forum to try out stuff.
However as Nat says you don't need to do it as they can be quite expensive & you learn far more from actually doing it.

Any courses are good

Courses are good, comedy school though is pretty long. Most places can do the samething in a weekend.

Better to die on your arse in front of fellow students than an open mike crowd.

Though if you're anything like me you'll do both.

If I lacked in confidence then I don't think that I'd be choosing stand up. What I don't want to do is spend 300 quid on a course that's either gonna be a "vanity project" or one where I could have guessed all the common sense things they're gonna tell me.

I'm a bit sceptical about comedy courses as I don't think you can learn how to be funny; although no matter how confident you are in your material, delivery or on-stage persona (if you use such a thing) I do believe in taking (or at least listening to) advice.

So Comedy Course - the right way in - or - a waste of time and money?

Ps. Thanks for the prompt feedback.

(God, I wish I could type in a way so that you all knew I wasn't being sarcastic.)

£300 is a lot more than you should be spending

Think about a 3rd

They can't teach you to be funny, but they can teach the techniques

which is better than reinventing the wheel

That said have a dig on the standup threads on this forum and you'll find most of the lessons you'll need and some pretty good standups.

Quote: The Man in the Bowler Hat @ October 25 2010, 6:25 AM BST

If I lacked in confidence then I don't think that I'd be choosing stand up. What I don't want to do is spend 300 quid on a course that's either gonna be a "vanity project" or one where I could have guessed all the common sense things they're gonna tell me.

I'm a bit sceptical about comedy courses as I don't think you can learn how to be funny; although no matter how confident you are in your material, delivery or on-stage persona (if you use such a thing) I do believe in taking (or at least listening to) advice.

So Comedy Course - the right way in - or - a waste of time and money?

Ps. Thanks for the prompt feedback.

(God, I wish I could type in a way so that you all knew I wasn't being sarcastic.)

Lacking in confidence is a good thing for a stand up comic. If you don't think you can learn don't go on a course because you probably won't. Is it worth 300 quid - only you can answer that. Make it worth the three hundred quid to you I guess.

Spent about £400 on my course earlier this year. Was it worth it?

Ok....for me, yes. £400 is neither here nor there when I work out the cost of me gigging in London on a regular basis (parking, petrol, etc) so cost wasnt an issue. The first thing to remember is that COURSES DONT TEACH FUNNY....which is a handy thing to bear in mind when someone says (and they will) "you can't teach funny"

What they do teach is that it's ok to stand on stage and do your thing. Now, some people have no issue doing that so a course won't help them much....for me, I was a 36 year old company director that had not been near a stage since I was a nativity donkey in 1982. There was NO WAY I was going to just roll up at an open mic night and have a go (in fact, the only comedy I had ever seen live (before I started gigging) was Jimmy Carr at the Hexagon type stuff. The first gig I ever went to where there wasnt ice cream at half time....was when I was on stage.

So for me, having someone say "it's ok to do what you're doing" was very helpful. The other two beniits are that you meet people at your level...new (and I still chat to a few of them who are still gigging) and you get to have your first gig in front of a very nice crowd. My first gig is still one of my best and the video from it got me into competitions, TV stuff, etc.

So....if money is not an issue - but standing on stage is. Courses are great. If you are outgoing, happy to rock up at an open mic and go for it - then just do that. Interestingly, there where a few people on my course who had already been gigging - which seemed odd to me.

Hope that helps.

Mr L

PS. I did Logan Murrays course.

PPS. The material I did in my first gig was stuff I had written before the course.....I was funny on the course and my stuff well received by others on the course. My point being, the course didnt teach me my "thing"....it just said, it's ok to do it.

That is FAR too much money. Just far too much. Unless you hev that sort of cash to throw around, of course. If you're paying any more than £100 I'd expect it to be extraordinary. Which it probably won't be.

Before you fork out £300, why not try a cheaper one first? I've heard a couple of good bits of feedback for this one, and it's cheap.

The Award winning Art of Comedy returns with a Weekend Workshop as part of the Hull Comedy Festival 2010:

Sat 30th & Sun 31st October from 10am - 4pm

Graduation Showcase on Sat 30th October from 8.00pm
Well look no further than The Art of Comedy to help you on your way. Our professional Comedy Trainers will assist and develop your talents throughout the weekend, giving you the confidence and the tools to put together material and perform it. Also you will have the opportunity to perform at the Graduation Showcase for the students in a friendly and relaxed environment hosted by your very own Tutors of the workshop. Also get a exclusive Masterclass from TV & Radio comedian TREVOR LOCK (Star Stories, The Russell Brand Show)

Also featuring an additional Improv workshop with NEW YORK Comedian Rich Jackson.

That's 4 tutors over 2 days with food and performance you would be hard pressed to find a better value workshop anywhere in the country.

Places are £65.00 per person inclusive of 2 day workshop, Graduation performance, Feedback session and Professional Masterclass. Buffet lunch inclusive both days 30th-31st October 10am-4pm

Places are available to book online via www.wegottickets.com

For further information and to book your place contact: tickets-rtceproductions@hotmail.co.uk

Quote: Nat Wicks @ October 25 2010, 10:17 AM BST

That is FAR too much money.

Not really - it's a lot compared to other courses but, as it was full..it can't be too much!

It was across 4 weekends (8 days + showcase) in central london.... personally I thought it was cheap to be coached by someone with so much experience and expertise. In any other line of work you'd be paying that for a day (it's less than I charged people attending my seminars for a few hours)

It depends why you get into open mic I suppose...if you want a funky hobby, its an expensive way in perhaps - if you view it as a training course for a new career, it's fine.

To be fair, you're at a natural disadvantage in London- the ammount of shit open mic nights swamped with terrible acts is amazing (I was.. lucky... enough to go to one last week). I'm lucky up here for now- the open mic scene is much nicer; 4 out of my 5 gigs have been on a bill with pro comics. You wouldn't get that in Londinium. Not at the beginning anyway.

Thats true, but only for a short time. I am regularly gigging with pro acts now and, being London, there are more of them about. (should add - I'm not in London, I'm M4 corridor)

One prob with the huge open circuit is that it seems to have it's own life...it's own characters, it's own story - as opposed to being something you pass through on your way up.

If comedy is a mountain, it's like a base camp where people have been sat in tents for years now...with the occasional climber passing through.

I'm in a similar position as you as I did my first gig last week and all I would say is that I got some good feedback from the compere, other acts and also learned a few lessons on my own.... so I wouldn't consider a course myself but each to their own I guess.

Quote: Jason Bumford @ October 27 2010, 7:05 PM BST

I'm in a similar position as you as I did my first gig last week and all I would say is that I got some good feedback from the compere, other acts and also learned a few lessons on my own.... so I wouldn't consider a course myself but each to their own I guess.

Yes, Good point.