Female comedians Page 21

In psychology I believe there is a term or theory for this. Self confidence is basically linked to the ability to win admirers atc. and as humour wins more admirers than anything else, this can naturally make one so confident of his/her ability, it leads to smugness. Sometimes to the extent it can turn people off, as many turn me off.

Clever comedians have sought to find a way around this drawback and still be very popular, cue Woody Allen, the Godfather of self deprecating, non smug comedy.

"It is carnival time in Brazil again, when parades are held around the country. Here comedian Sabrina Sato performs during the parade of the Gavioes da Fiel samba school in Sao Paulo."

I'd like to see more female comedians like her.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-12661273

Quote: Tim Walker @ March 7 2011, 8:22 AM GMT

I am prepared to believe that female comedians exist. :)

That's a very good start. *pat*

Quote: chipolata @ March 7 2011, 10:39 AM GMT

Male or female, comedians are all smug f**kers who think they're funny.

Maybe some TV comedians, but that's one of the silliest sweeping statements you have made. Plus everyone knows that your common house or garden comedian is far too negative and self critical to be truly smug.

Quote: Nat Wicks @ March 7 2011, 1:03 PM GMT

Maybe some TV comedians, but that's one of the silliest sweeping statements you can make.

Take it outside, Smugo!

:D

I'm not even a comedian. I'm worse.. I'm a WANNABE.

Maybe some TV comedians, but that's one of the silliest sweeping statements you have made.

Only one of them though. For instance, there was the time I said the Chinese were all jealous of me.

'Fast and Loose', great show that it is, should be a natural home for female comedians. However, out of 13 guests for the first seeries there's only Ruth Bratt, Laura Solon, Jessica Ransom and Pippa Evans that make up the numbers. And out of those four in the last show there was only one.

Quote: Baumski @ March 7 2011, 2:27 PM GMT

'Fast and Loose', great show that it is, should be a natural home for female comedians

Why the "natural home"? And if you want to study statistics, as far as I'm aware they only featured one non-white comedian. And he was American.

Maybe some TV comedians, but that's one of the silliest sweeping statements you have made. Plus everyone knows that your common house or garden comedian is far too negative and self critical to be truly smug.

I don't know any garden comedians - male or female - except Graeme Garden of course.

Quote: chipolata @ March 7 2011, 2:30 PM GMT

Why the "natural home"? And if you want to study statistics, as far as I'm aware they only featured one non-white comedian. And he was American.

All true but given this a gender not ethnic thread it would be constant to stick with it, but if you really want to introduce the stats thing then go for it. As for picking up on the "natural home" sound bite, well, it's not too much of a stretch to make the connection. Or is it?

Well really if you think about it in stand up terms, 1 in 5 standups at last year's Fringe were women. On that reckoning, their rostra is slightly more generous than a true representation!

QI is far more male dominated.

For it to be representative it should have 2 female comics for every three shows. I don't know if they're THAT far behind, are they?

I can't think of any women other than Jo Brand who are on regularly.
There probably are some, but I can't think off the top of my head.