Which sitcoms would you recommend? Page 2

Tim, writers will always be the key to success, even in reality humour, cause someone has to write the plot and scenario :)

Still, I'm not impressed with the current sitcoms. Outnumbered and Inbetweeners rely on kids, which is OK but doesn't make me laugh that much. I remember actor Dennis from the 90s in Newman & Baddiel? With the famous "That's you, that is".

Benidorm has a good idea but no timing and meaningless long scenes (one in the bus). Beautiful People about a gay teenager has bad acting and is the least funny of all. The The Thick Of It is out of my reality since I don't live in the UK I don't follow local politics. I enjoyed Yes Prime Minister and Rick Mayal's The New Statesman in the Thatcher 80s, but this one is too early to make history.

All in all, I can decently say that the last relatively good British sitcoms made were Ricky Gervais in The Office and Extras series, Ali G series and The IT Crowd still running.
luis

Tim,
Was watching clips from Peep Show and there you see just the writer's talent, cause the actors are a pain, they were not born comedians. Just directed to deliver lines. And what bothers me is that they all copy the new trend started by "The Office", natural sounds surroundings, looking at the camera...nothing original!

No, the good sitcoms stopped short in the early decade (few).
luis

When did I suddenly become the focus of your sitcom writing course, Luis? Huh?

You're not going to charge me for this, are you? Because I warn you now, Marc Blake sent round his heavies and cleaned me out. I'm skint, mate, honest. Teary

Peep Show est le pamplemousse bon bon magnifique, non? Dos almohada, Luis?
I'd recommend Peep Show but you don't seem to like it already. Shame. What is the top comedy in Brazil at the minute Luis?

Quote: luis kmentt @ December 2 2009, 11:52 PM GMT

cause the actors are a pain... .... ... ... Just directed to deliver lines.

That's kind of what actors are paid for, isn't it? ;)

Quote: The Giggle-o @ December 3 2009, 12:01 AM GMT

What is the top comedy in Brazil at the minute Luis?

'Ever Decreasing Rain Forests'.

Quote: Oldrocker @ December 3 2009, 12:04 AM GMT

Laughing out loud

Quote: luis kmentt @ December 2 2009, 9:23 PM GMT

Tim: Thanks!
If you say so...I'll watch Outnumbered, I know it has been a Bafta nomenee but was reluctant.

Quote: luis kmentt @ December 2 2009, 11:33 PM GMT

Im not impressed with the current sitcoms. Outnumbered and Inbetweeners rely on kids, which is OK but doesn't make me laugh that much.

Wow! That was quick work obtaining and watching a sitcom, Luis! Impressive. :)

Can't comment on The Thick Of It as I'm yet to see it. Not into Benidorm, but mainly as it's on ITV.

All the others on the list are well worth giving a go. Personally I like all of them.

Others that I think would be worth considering are:

2point4 Children - A bit wacky, good jokes, well written and acted and written by Andrew Marshall sometime writing partner of David Renwick who wrote One Foot In The Grave.

Next Of Kin - Overlooked alot but pretty good.

Birds Of A Feather - Brilliant. Can't remember if it was in your 'seen' list or not.

Goodnight Sweetheart. Time travel, bigamy, war and stockings.

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 3 2009, 12:10 AM GMT

Wow! That was quick work obtaining and watching a sitcom, Luis! Impressive. :)

I watched the clips available here Teary

Quote: Oldrocker @ December 3 2009, 12:04 AM GMT

Nothing. Good humour doesn't exist here. As in most countries of the world. Slightly better in Argentina thou. Thats why I learned English.

Quote: luis kmentt @ December 3 2009, 12:20 AM GMT

I watched the clips available here Teary

Fair enough. It normally takes me about a year from thinking about it to doing it. :D

Quote: luis kmentt @ December 2 2009, 10:03 PM GMT

I saw a clip of Outnumbered and immediately realised those kids were speaking their minds, can't be rehearsed, but then thou might be funny listening to "kids" wisdom, my daughter style, they are not funny witty lines per se as in One Foot in the Grave.

They may be (largely) improvised, but they're surrounded by highly skilled comic performers (Hugh Dennis, Claire Skinner etc) who keep things on track.

Quote: David Carmon @ December 3 2009, 12:12 AM GMT

Not into Benidorm, but mainly as it's on ITV.

You do yourself a disservice, Sir.

I did watch some of series 1 or 2 but I tend to forget ITV exists when X Factor isn't on. Same with BBC2 really, apart from Miranda.

BBC2 hasn't existed since 1997, so that's understandable. It's BBC Two now. :P

I hope the opening poster doesn't mind, but instead of opening a new thread, I'd like to ask for some recommendations as well. :)

My favourite genres are sitcoms and sketch shows, but I'm willing to give anything a go. Some of my favourite TV shows are:

Green Wing (my favourite TV comedy show!)
Spaced
The Catherine Tate Show
I'm Alan Partridge
Peep Show
The Office
Extras
Black Books
Father Ted
The Armstrong & Miller Show
Keeping Up Appearances
Big Train
The IT Crowd