The all-in-one consolidatory football thread Page 360

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ May 16 2012, 5:39 AM BST

That's not good. Parker and Walcott touch and go too.

No Rio's no big loss, was never as good as Terry anyway. Terry probably just cover for Lescott and Cahill now.

I still can't see point in Barry really, bet the Germans hope he plays but I would keep him as cover.

No Crouch, shame, but Carroll has to be in first team.

Hmmm. As good as Terry's been, I think Rio has been a much better player. Both of them are creaking now, but the Chelsea defence has been an absolute mess at times this season, and Terry has been a big factor in that. Watching him at Anfield a few weeks ago he looked like a pub footballer. For me, Rio is still the better player.

It's been talked about, that there was a political decision to make about taking either Terry or Ferdinand. This is Roy's first big call, and I think he's got it wrong.

CONFIRMED ENGLAND EURO 2012 SQUAD

Goalkeepers: Hart, Green, Ruddy.

Defenders: Baines, Cahill, Cole, Johnson, Jones, Lescott, Terry.

Midfielders: Barry, Downing, Gerrard, Lampard, Milner, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Parker, Walcott, Young.

Strikers: Carroll, Defoe, Rooney, Welbeck.

Stand-by: Butland, Jagielka, Henderson, Adam Johnson, Sturridge.

What's that Roy, you've picked Stewart 'zero goals and zero assists' Downing and only three questionable strikers for the first two games?

Hugely disappointed with this squad. Hodgson hasn't taken any chances and has picked a squad that fits a general media/public dynamic... staid, conservative and dogmatic are three words that come to mind.

With hindsight (yes, wonderful, I know) I don't know why I ever got my hopes up in the first place. The FA would never have picked him if they thought he would go out on a limb and experiment. Same old same old...

Elderly footballer with busted legs and no pace left out of England squad shock! It's a victory for racists and Chelsea supporters (same thing) everywhere!!!

I care not, for it's time to 'Bring On The Ox'! He is set to become one of the world's best midfielders - aggressive, positive, creative - as the Americans would say 'a real game changer'. Anyone who says different smells.

I'm also glad that Leighton Baines is in the squad, not because I think he's a great footballer, but because he sounds like a superhero's alter ego - Millionairre sporting star Leighton Baines hides a dark secret, when not playing average football, he prowls the city streets fighting crime as 'The Penaliser'!

Have we learned nothing from WC2006? Picking only four strikers is a big error and at least two midfielders will spend three weeks doing bugger all. What Downing has done to get in the squad beggars belief, and Henderson is on the stand-by list! At least he's picked Defoe.

Apart from sub-keepers, every player comes from a team that finished in the top 8 in the Prem, as if that necessarily empowers such players with extra ability. It's as if he's let the opinions of other managers (who have bought these players into their teams) influence his choices, as well as the media hype.

Another badge and blazer-wearing yes man. 'Twere ever thus.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ May 16 2012, 5:39 AM BST

That's not good. Parker and Walcott touch and go too.

No Rio's no big loss, was never as good as Terry anyway. Terry probably just cover for Lescott and Cahill now.

I still can't see point in Barry really, bet the Germans hope he plays but I would keep him as cover.

No Crouch, shame, but Carroll has to be in first team.

Rio plays a vital covering role for more aggressive center backs, he would have been perfect alongside Lescott if he went.

Barry is there to add a bit of solidity as Parker is injured and Roy Hodgson apparently forgot Carrick existed.

EDIT: Just realized Parker is there. Barry is cover for Parker then.

I'm hoping the Carroll first team thing is a joke, if Carrol plays we would need to build the team around him, and with the wingers England have I can't see us being able to play to his strengths.

Welbeck's link up play with Rooney has been good all season. We have seen time and time again how much better national team players who come from the same clubs link up at international level and yet well still insist on choosing fantasy elevens.

And now I realize my post is redundant as I just elected to choose three United players as alternatives.

Although to be fair we are a very successful team with a large complement of starting England players, why are we so underrepresented n the national team?

Quote: Badge @ May 16 2012, 1:48 PM BST

Have we learned nothing from WC2006?

Is this a trick question? (we haven't learned anything since Euro 96)

Besides, we took our 'golden generation' to South Africa and they gave us the most shambolic England performances I have personally ever seen.

From Goal: One person nobody has mentioned yet is the fourth-choice goalkeeper, Jack Butland. The 19-year-old is yet to even make a senior appearance for parent club Birmingham in the Championship and has never played at a higher level than League Two, where he's currently on loan at Cheltenham. Yep, that's right. The Three Lions' fourth-choice goalkeeper has never played at a higher level than the fourth tier of English football.

And Downing? Really? 'Kin 'ell.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ May 16 2012, 2:00 PM BST

Is this a trick question? (we haven't learned anything since Euro 96)

Besides, we took our 'golden generation' to South Africa and they gave us the most shambolic England performances I have personally ever seen.

My point is about only taking 4 strikers. In 2006 we only had four, and ended up with one injured, one suspended and one unplayable because he was in nappies and wasn't even a striker.

Quote: Badge @ May 16 2012, 1:48 PM BST

Picking only four strikers is a big error and at least two midfielders will spend three weeks doing bugger all.

Gah, only just noticed that! FFS. Roy, Roy, Roy. *Shakes head in disbelief*

From Goal again:
Hodgson on John Ruddy and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain: "We don't have too many English goalkeepers to chose from. He's been a very important player in that team - Joe Hart is the obvious No.1 and Rob Green the obvious No.2. With Oxlade-Chamberlain, he's a very exciting player, he's made a few performances which have left quite an impression on me. He's one who we'll be seeing one of in the future."
Roy went on to say he was impressed with The Ox's performance against Massimo Ambrosini and Andrea Pirlo in Arsenal's 3-0 win over AC Milan. Pirlo left for Juventus a year ago. Sorry Roy... but d'oh!

Feel a bit bad sticking the boot in as I have a rubbish footballing memory, but then I'm not in charge of the national side. Unfortunately.

Quote: Badge @ May 16 2012, 2:08 PM BST

My point is about only taking 4 strikers. In 2006 we only had four, and ended up with one injured, one suspended and one unplayable because he was in nappies and wasn't even a striker.

Could happen to any players in any position. We are likely to be playing with only one striker, two wingers and three mids until Rooney returns from his ban so the fact we have four strikers more than covers us.

Fact is that a 23 man squad allows for 2 players in each outfield position and 3 goalkeepers, taking five strikers would leave us short on cover for other positions where players can also get injured and also suspended (infact more likely to get suspended).

Quote: Badge @ May 16 2012, 2:08 PM BST

We have midfielders (mainly Arsenal ones) who can create chances and score goals, so I'm not that worried.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ May 16 2012, 2:16 PM BST

We have midfielders (mainly Arsenal ones) who can create chances and score goals, so I'm not that worried.

You're funny.

Which position did Walcott/Ox play in, until the mighty Arsène got hold of them? Both are natural central strikers, currently played out of position.

Is there anyone here who thinks that this squad will be the same as the first squad he picks for the World Cup qualifiers? No chance.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ May 16 2012, 2:16 PM BST

But we can't have them all on at one time! They'll have their job to do too, and considering the decisions so far do you really think they're going to be given the opportunities to make the most of that ability?

Might still have a wee bet on The Ox being England's top goalscorer though :D