Genius (Radio 4)

I don't know if anyone has heard of this, but this is one of my favourite radio comedies.

Genius, hosted by Dave Gorman, is a comedy game show where members of the public present their own ideas, inventions and schemes to see which is "Genius". After being judged by a celebrity guest, they two top ideas are judged by the audience to see which will win the coveted "Genius Trophy".

Past ideas that have won have included "Running the Houses of Parliament based on the rules of Just A Minute", "The Combined CD/Microwave" and "Miniture Elephants as pets".

The show is to be repeated tonight, on Radio 4, 23:00, with guest Johnny Vegas. A third series is also in the making and to be broadcast around October.

I love it too!
Dave Gorman's fantastic.

Can't say I've ever listened - although I have heard of it - but I do love the idea of Parliament being run like Just A Minute, so I might try and catch it at some point. :)

I sent an idea in, but never got anything back. Swines. I used to like Dave Gorman as well

David Gorman only replies to people called David Gorman

Quote: Aaron @ April 12, 2007, 11:01 PM

Can't say I've ever listened - although I have heard of it - but I do love the idea of Parliament being run like Just A Minute, so I might try and catch it at some point. :)

Well, it should be on the "Listen Again" facility if you want to hear it again.

I sent an idea in, but never got anything back. Swines. I used to like Dave Gorman as well

I was once invited to a writers meeting at BBC Radio after sending stuff in for 'Dead Ringers'. There were about 75 other people there like me and basically the producer said they already had a writing team and it would be a miracle if they used ONE joke or sketch from outside their 'team' in the whole series. I wasted a whole morning for nothing!!(And they didn't even offer us any tea/coffee!!!!)

So don't be disheartened. You usually have to be part of Footlights or get into the Edinburgh festival for the BBC to look at you. Or be on the stand up circuit for years. Or be very lucky like Ricky Gervais or the guys that wrote Roman's Empire.

Quote: bob4apples @ April 18, 2007, 10:02 PM

I was once invited to a writers meeting at BBC Radio after sending stuff in for 'Dead Ringers'. There were about 75 other people there like me and basically the producer said they already had a writing team and it would be a miracle if they used ONE joke or sketch from outside their 'team' in the whole series. I wasted a whole morning for nothing!!(And they didn't even offer us any tea/coffee!!!!)

So don't be disheartened. You usually have to be part of Footlights or get into the Edinburgh festival for the BBC to look at you. Or be on the stand up circuit for years. Or be very lucky like Ricky Gervais or the guys that wrote Roman's Empire.

I've been through a similar situation (but TV sitcom related, not radio sketch show).

In the end it's talent and a certain amount of luck that win through. If you're good enough and you're prepared to be a failure for many years whilst honing your craft, there's still a chance. It doesn't matter how many rejections you get, it's how you react to them that counts. If something you write gets rejected, ask yourself why and try to improve on it. If you think they're just "missing the point," try somewhere else because comedy is ridiculously subjective. One person who reads your work might think it's pants, and the next person may think it's hilarious.(Slightly off topic, but that's why it annoys the hell out of me when people say a programme is "rubbish." Just because "you" don't find it funny, doesn't mean it isn't funny to someone).

The majority of comedy writers will tell you it took a lot of hard work and rejection before something stuck. Success comes to those who work bloody hard!

One thing's for sure - I'm not giving up until I get what I want. Pirate

Oh yeah, and "Genius" is very funny! :D (in my opinion Cool)

I managed to get an idea used on the first series of Genius, what I didn't realise at the time was that they actually wanted people to appear on the actual show, which proved impossible for me as I am agoraphobic. So in the end I just fobbed them off with a few excuses about why I couldn't turn up but said they could still go ahead and use my idea, which they did.

But did they pay you?

I'm no performer so would only want to write stuff.

If I had gone then I would have got £30 plus travel expenses...

It's a good show though, I like it a lot.

I've got something to offer to the people on this forum.

Two free tickets to Genius

I got some tickets to see a recording of Genius on Wednesday 11th July, at the Radio Theatre, Broadcasting House, Portland Place. However, I've got two spare so I was wondering if anyone here wanted them.

Please note however that having the tickets does not guarantee your admission. This is because that when tickets are not used, the BBC let people in on the night of the recording. Therefore, you have to be there early in order to guarantee a seat.

If you are interested in the tickets, please send me a private message. The tickets will go on a first come-first serve basis. I will post the tickets out to the people who want them for free.

Quote: ajp29 @ April 13, 2007, 2:00 AM

David Gorman only replies to people called David Gorman

That sounds like a bastardisation of a Chuck Norris fact

I went to the recording last night (the last in the series). It was great. The recording lasted around 2 hours.

I won't mention who the special guest was, and I won't give away too much, but I will say this: It is not that often when one of the ideas upsets Dave Gorman.

Aw.
At least tell us the idea!