Laughter In Paradise

Does anyone have any idea if it is possible to buy "Laughter in Paradise" as a free standing film on DVD please?

ps, if so where?

I have a copy I made off the television (great film!!) - keep an eye on Film on 4, or there are plenty available on eBay from a £3 ripped upwards.........

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Laughter-in-Paradise-1951-Audrey-Hepburn-Sim-Alastair-Comedy-Movie-on-DVD-/181902128304?hash=item2a5a3634b0:g:5FcAAOSwYHxWHVAb

Thanks HGT, will order one.

You're welcome - you should be OK where someone has burnt a single film onto a disc as I have the odd ones I have bought in the past and they have been fine.

Where you have to be wary though is when someone compresses say half a dozen films (or more!!) onto one disc as the quality goes out the window and you can get bad synch problems.

Why do you want this one specifically? Have you seen it before?

Anything with Alastair Sim in is v.good in my opinion - love the man!!

Yes, I saw it donkeys years ago and enjoyed it.

The other day I was looking through my collection and found both "School for Scoundrels" and "The Green Man"

That had me thinking about other films of that vintage and "Laughter in Paradise". Started looking and thought asking here was a good start. The forum proves itself yet again.

Any reason you wouldn't just buy the really reasonably priced 5-film box set? http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00ITUJH0W/comedyguide-21/

Any you already have separately could be sold by yourself to make a bit of money back - and you're not breaking the law or dealing in dodgy goods that way, either.

Quote: Maurice Mynah @ 4th February 2016, 12:34 PM GMT

Yes, I saw it donkeys years ago and enjoyed it.

The other day I was looking through my collection and found both "School for Scoundrels" and "The Green Man"

That had me thinking about other films of that vintage and "Laughter in Paradise". Started looking and thought asking here was a good start. The forum proves itself yet again.

Yes, The Green Man is one of my favourites, and this scene never fails to make me laugh - you get all of Alastair's facial expressions here in this one scene. I love it when the trio start up and he realises they are going to inadvertently scupper his plan for the radio, and how it gets out of it. (I hope I'm not spoiling anything there!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzgfIHALXaU

And as for School for Scoundrels, I really love the two dodgy car salesmen Dennis Price and Peter Jones - cannot find the scene where they sell him the car, but this is where they get stung themselves with the help of Alastair...........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgN9KpbyICo

If you want to see some old footage of Alastair, then try and get the three (only) Inspector Hornleigh films that were made in the war period, where he plays the Inspector's (Gordon Harker) police sergeant. I love them as I am a big fan of pre/post WWII British B&W films, and they have some very good funny skits in them.

Don't think you can buy the set anywhere, but the ones I have, I got off eBay from somebody who had recorded them from the television............

Inspector Hornleigh (1939)
Inspector Hornleigh on Holiday (1939)
Inspector Hornleigh Goes to It (1941)

I take your point Aaron, but I'm one of those rare buggers who don't like boxed sets of films where the connection is the actor.
For example, I don't mind the boxed set of Die Hard but would never buy a boxed set of Bruce Willis films.

Watched this again tonight - so, so funny. Alastair Sim is simply superb, with his 10 year engagement to Joyce Grenfell - poor Joyce, reminiscent of her in the St Trinian's films.

And Alastair's protégé George Cole as the timid bank clerk, having to hold up his own bank with a toy water pistol. ?

Brillant fillm, such a fantastic cast; it's seems to be on talking pictures tv quite a lot.

Yes, and the likes too of John Laurie as the hypochondriac father.

Also, for me it was great to see at long last Charlotte Mitchell, who played the maid Ethel, to the sour-puss woman who was made to be a maid for one month herself - Charlotte featured in a couple of the Goon Shows, particularly "Ye Bandit of Sherwood Forest" as Maid Marian, and she was very funny in that - playing opposite Peter Sellers, who she allegedly had a fling with.

The other person I wanted to comment on was the love interest of Anthony Steel as the private detective - in Pat Coombs' biog. I've just finished reading, she was saying what a nasty piece of work he turned out to be when he retired to the same actors' home, where she and Peggy Mount saw out the rest of their days. Apparently, he still had his full head of thick hair, now turned white, but the charm he portrayed on the screen was the opposite of how he finished up when he was an old man and the acting parts dried up. Shame really.