Su Pollard

I cannot believe that the 'Mighty Sue Pollard' (as Victoria Coren-Mitchell dubbed her during an episode of Only Connect once) hasn't yet warranted a thread devoted to her. Well, I'm here to redress the balance.

I used to perform in various Amateur Dramatics productions during my teens and twenties and yes, I was indeed compared to Dame Su. I used to hate the comparison, but now I'm rather flattered.

Here's a link to Su's personal website: http://www.supollard.co.uk/

She also had a rather catchy chart hit Starting Together with some rather splendid bells: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwuCqJtdxpw

I'm loving the following YT comment:

quite a nice lady but also mad in real life. I sat next to her on a train to plymouth once and all she does is talk talk talk. eventually I got pissed off with it and got off at the next stop but she got off with me and I jumped into a cab but she jumped in with me and starting having really loud and embarrasing conversations about sex. Im p[retty sure it was her. but it might not have been.?

Laughing out loud

Amazing.

I suggest that we all pile up to Blackpool to see Su in Panto. I reckon it'll be right up Aaron's street.

:D

Oh it absolutely would be. I adore panto. And I have it on good authority from someone who's worked with her that Su is indeed brilliantly bonkers, so that comment seems entirely plausible!

Quote: Aaron @ 28th November 2015, 9:12 PM GMT

Oh it absolutely would be. I adore panto. And I have it on good authority from someone who's worked with her that Su is indeed brilliantly bonkers, so that comment seems entirely plausible!

Yes! (Punches air.)

Whenever she has been on the TV she comes across as a lovely woman, mad as a box of frogs but a lovely woman. It's a shame she isn't on the TV more but the powers that be would sooner have people like those in Made In Chelsea, those types of non entities with no talent.

Quote: alan1967 @ 18th December 2015, 12:29 PM GMT

Whenever she has been on the TV she comes across as a lovely woman, mad as a box of frogs but a lovely woman. It's a shame she isn't on the TV more but the powers that be would sooner have people like those in Made In Chelsea, those types of non entities with no talent.

I feel the same too. English (and indeed British) eccentrics are the best in the world in my opinion.

The columnist/novelist/media person Danny Wallace has written that he's seen Ms Pollard skipping around his local area in north London, so hopefully this will improve her public profile somewhat.

I bet she is a right laugh. I was talking to my wife about all these actors that you don't see on TV now, regarding how do they live financially. Unless they saved their money in their hey day a lot of them must struggle.

Quote: alan1967 @ 18th December 2015, 12:49 PM GMT

I bet she is a right laugh. I was talking to my wife about all these actors that you don't see on TV now, regarding how do they live financially. Unless they saved their money in their hey day a lot of them must struggle.

She does come across as so - many actors are total nightmares in real life.

I've always got the impression that Ms P earns an income from panto and by appearing in outrageous productions geared towards her rather large gay fanbase? I could be wrong of course? Many celebs seem to tread the retro circuit and hang around in regional hotels at conventions charging fans the princely sum of £15 to have a photograph taken with their 'idol'.

You're probably right regarding Panto she is probably the best person suited for Panto and she still has a fantastic singing voice.

I think she is the true inspiration for Lady Gaga.

Quote: alan1967 @ 18th December 2015, 1:01 PM GMT

You're probably right regarding Panto she is probably the best person suited for Panto and she still has a fantastic singing voice.

She does indeed - I think I already linked to the amazing single 'Starting Together', but if not, here it is again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwuCqJtdxpw

Quote: zooo @ 18th December 2015, 1:01 PM GMT

I think she is the true inspiration for Lady Gaga.

I can imagine Ms P carrying off a meat dress, but with the emphasis on the budget cuts, such as flank and rump.

:D

This is now on my (belated) Christmas list: