BBC Three getting axed Page 4

If their budget is being slashed then they aren't going to be making (as) much new stuff, no matter where it is aired.

Where as this is true Badge, how much money went into developing new voices.
And how much went into God awful reality TV jollies in foreign countries.
I think BBC3 used to be about that but of late it's been yet another channel making bad TV, only with a bigger budget.

Quote: Badge @ 6th March 2014, 12:11 PM GMT

If their budget is being slashed then they aren't going to be making (as) much new stuff, no matter where it is aired.

That would be true I suppose.

Did Hebburn start on BBC3 too?

I wonder if BBC3 going digital could be the making of it.

There's an on demand revolution waiting to take place.

Quote: Badge @ 6th March 2014, 12:11 PM GMT

Exactly.

Quote: sootyj @ 6th March 2014, 12:13 PM GMT

Where as this is true Badge, how much money went into developing new voices.

More than after this change, I dare say.

Quote: Nil Putters @ 6th March 2014, 12:16 PM GMT

Did Hebburn start on BBC3 too?

No, it's only ever been on BBC Two.

Ah, ok.

Having seen the detail of the proposal, it's even worse and more depressing than I had imagined.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ 6th March 2014, 9:14 AM GMT

"Our War" was a superb documentary series about troops on the frontline in Afghanistan, it always seemed a bit out of place on BBC3 though, if I'm honest.

Why would you want to watch a documentary about military scum involved in an illegal war where they kill locals for a f**king wage?

That's a rhetorical question. F**k the British army.

You're aware that several battalions of the Royal Regiment of Scotland have been stationed in Helmand?

Quote: faceless @ 6th March 2014, 3:58 PM GMT

Why would you want to watch a documentary about military scum involved in an illegal war where they kill locals for a f**king wage?

You want them to kill for free? Typical bloody Tory.

Latest figures show that 'youngers' have turned off broadcast television in their droves, as much as a 20% decline. They're too busy downloading, streaming and viewing decent shows from America.

Am I surprised that BBC Three is getting the axe? No, it's highest rated shows were never ending reruns of American cartoons and repeats of EastEnders. One half decent documentary in the last 5 years isn't going to change that fact.

When you fill up a channel with brides, babies and Jack Whitehall, you can't expect it to be a critical or ratings smash. Like most people, I watch far more BBC Four than BBC Three because of the quality of programming. Yeah, I might give 'The History Of British Roundabouts' a miss, but there's usually something very good on soon after.

What I find most fascinating is the general lack of outrage over it going away forever moving online. Very few people watched it and even fewer are sad to see it go. The whole premise of making shows for one small demographic reeked of 'Nozin' Around' (Young Ones reference) and lacked credibility from the start. It was half hearted, half arsed and wholly disappointing.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ 6th March 2014, 4:17 PM GMT

You're aware that several battalions of the Royal Regiment of Scotland have been stationed in Helmand?

Faceless is just trying another gormless windup.

I think it's a shame.

I mean, there was some horrible reality tripe on there which possibly contributed to this (cheers, Zai), but thinking about this more today, I'm sad 3 is going. So many good comedies and dramas launched there. A few rubbish ones of course though, but in general their fiction content was good to great.

But then they make stupid decisions like axing Fades (which won a BAFTA after it was axed) and Mongrels etc. Some people in charge there seem to love shooting themselves in the foot.

Seems reasonable to me, I never liked any shows it produced, especially of recent eg Bad Education and Gavin & Stacey. And it makes sense to make it online only as the vast majority of the demographic who watch BBC 3, watch it on demand.