BBC Three getting axed

I've just seen this pop up as a headline... Any thoughts?

Will making it available online only seriously effect the quality of its output?

https://www.comedy.co.uk/news/story/000001397/bbc_3_close_move_online_only_iplayer/

"BBC Three is to close and become an online-only channel."

Can't be a good thing.

I'm more concerned about the inconsistency it will leave behind: BBC 1, BBC 2, BBC 4. WHAT?!

If you had to axe any part of the BBC, then the one I would get rid of is BBC Three. I'm happy to move some of the programmes to other parts of the network, but most of it is a bit rubbish in my view.

There's a petition to save BBC Three: http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/to-the-bbc-trust-save-bbc3

Jonathan Meades (on Four) is funnier than most of that lot. Won't miss it.

Except Bluestone 42.

Well, yes all of this news is certainly a shock to the system. Hopefully Bad Education and Uncle won't get affected and I hope I will still be able to watch them online if it does get moved. :(

BBC Three's demographic is the one most likely to view things online anyway, right? It's certainly the channel whose output and target audience are most flexible and least afraid of iPlayer.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ 5th March 2014, 3:25 PM GMT

If you had to axe any part of the BBC, then the one I would get rid of is BBC Three. I'm happy to move some of the programmes to other parts of the network, but most of it is a bit rubbish in my view.

This.

Lee has a good point about the awkward gap. I propose that they change the name of BBC4 to BBC3, that way no-one'll notice.

Bad news potentially for comedy but this extract from the article provided some shining light '......Badults might not appear on TV again.'

Quote: beaky @ 5th March 2014, 5:12 PM GMT

Lee has a good point about the awkward gap. I propose that they change the name of BBC4 to BBC3, that way no-one'll notice.

There's no gap to fill. BBC3 will still exist, albeit in online form.

What's happening to BBC4? Is that going online aswell?

BBC 3 was the channel that gave us the Mighty Boosh, as well as the Johnny Vegas sitcom Ideal and ground-breaking and brilliant drama serials such as Bodies, Funland and Conviction.

Under the control of various TV f**ks and people-shaped media turds it was rebranded and repurposed and is now the repository of shows such as Bank of Mum and Dad, Freaky Eaters and Snog, Marry or Avoid.

I'd axe it in an instant. Shift all of the content of BBC4 to BBC2 and create a separate channel called BBC cooking or BBC lifestyle for all the f**king endless cooking programmes. Job done.