What's dated? And other questions...

Do you think that people still laugh at the same things as they used to or has humour changed since The Young Ones, Reggie Perrin, et al?

What do you think is dated? Recurring jokes, for example?

Does it matter if something is dated? Despite criticisms here, it seems that Jam and Jerusalem, for example, is destined to be a big hit. There's certainly a large enough target audience for it.

Do you think that the BBC, and others, prefer these "tried and tested" formats rather than risk something new? Is that why they bring out so much bland new stuff. Might being bland not be a hindrance after all?

OK that's enough questions for now. Hope to have some of your opinions soon.

:)

I think with BBC Three investing so much into comedy and ITV1 having a crack at it. It's going to be interesting times.

Now that unconventional shows like The Office have proven a hit, we should see an interesting mix of mainstream and more cult hits, given better chance to succeed.

I also think it's a good time for us who have yet to make it, with so many competitions and talent show hunts.

As in what's dated or dating, mockumentry. I love them, but we've had real documentary's for the past 10 years.

I'm liking America's direction of these big budget dramas, I'm sure we could do something like Sex in the City (as in comedy drama).

I’m sure people would still laugh at the young ones and Reggie Perrin because they are good, I do find some of the older comedies a bit on the tame side. Shows that I laugh out loud at first time round but dislike on second viewing are the Detectives (for some reason I just took a dislike to Jasper Carrott) and Bo’ Selecta which on second viewing just seemed silly

I think the biggest problem we have today is the family friendly (pre watershed) sitcom, the BBC (well at least BBC1) seem almost totally reliant on Fred Barron efforts, which IMHO stink, I don’t know about tried and tested it’s more like tired and testing.

It comedy by focus group to ensure it doesn’t offend, stick it on after Eastenders and hope not too many turn over. CH5 and ITV should be given credit for at least trying.

Jam and Jerusalem is a comedy with many flaws but I think it has something and should be given a new series to give it a chance to iron them out, there many examples of classic series that got slated on there first outing. I’m sure the makers can see the problems as clearly as the rest of us.

Put comedy in the hands of comedian and you wont go far wrong

Interesting question in some respects.

I like comedy that spans a good 50 years and that seems to argue that if it is funny then it is timeless.

Production values aside, watch Hancock & Steptoe and tell they're not funny. Then Fawlty in the seventies right through to The Office in the noughties.

Good= timeless in my book.

A lot of what Barry says in terms of BBC1 is true; although I would take issue about J&J which I thought was a complete turkey.

There ain't no substitute for well written, well plotted & well acted comedy. Fawlty will still be funny in 2107 unlike some of the comedy by committee that is dished up only to be here today and (very much) gone by tomorrow

I think what has happened is that more sub-genres within comedy has occurred. There didn't used to be much in the past. Now there are horror-coms, reality-coms, dark-coms, toon-com etc, which means people diversify more. Stuff like Boosh, Green Wing, League of Gents, Nighty-Night, Office, Extras are all different from each other and mainstream stuff like My Family.

I think it depends on the person too. If you don't watch or read much comedy then My Family and mainstream stuff will probably be funnier for you than someone who watches a lot of comedy and is crying out for something new. Not in all cases but some that i know.

Quote: Blenkinsop @ February 19, 2007, 7:24 PM

There ain't no substitute for well written, well plotted & well acted comedy. Fawlty will still be funny in 2107 unlike some of the comedy by committee that is dished up only to be here today and (very much) gone by tomorrow

I think that is a very good point. You really need all three, plus interesting characters. Too many sitcoms miss at least one, some all.