Underworld

Does anyone remember this? A comedy drama by Andy Hamilton about a brother and sister, played by James Fleet and Susan Wooldridge, caught up in a feud between warring criminal gangs headed by Alun Armstrong and Kevin McNally, and featuring Mike Reid as a homocidal tax driver. I recall it as being rather wonderful - an Ealingesque romp that developed into something much darker and more truthful.

It won a hatful of awards, but to the best of my knowledge has never been repeated. Does anyone know if it has ever been made available to buy, or whether there are plans to make it available?

That would be a 'no' then.

Ooh, ooh, I remember it well. About four people watched it - I don't know who the other two were - but the C4 posters were everywhere before it started.

It was superb and the first time I'd ever noticed Alun Armstrong in anything. His performance was brilliant, avuncular and chilling, often in the same scene. The old bloke off Vicar of Dibley played McNally's father, didn't he? I'd IMDB his name if I could be arsed.

Quote: Graham Bandage @ August 19 2008, 7:26 AM BST

It was superb and the first time I'd ever noticed Alun Armstrong in anything. His performance was brilliant, avuncular and chilling, often in the same scene.

Marvellous actor, he almost makes New tricks watchable.

The old bloke off Vicar of Dibley played McNally's father, didn't he? I'd IMDB his name if I could be arsed.

Trevor Peacock. In the series he has a great speech about Mountbatten and the raid on Dieppe. His son Danny was the member of the Comic Strip who did not become famous.

Quote: Timbo @ August 19 2008, 11:27 PM BST

Marvellous actor, he almost makes New tricks watchable.

Amanda makes it watchable. But I think it's great anyway.

Quote: Timbo @ August 19 2008, 11:27 PM BST

Trevor Peacock. In the series he has a great speech about Mountbatten and the raid on Dieppe. His son Danny was the member of the Comic Strip who did not become famous.

Danny has been in loads of things - although I can't think of any at the moment. Was he in Birds of a Feather?

Don't know about that, but he was the lad Fletch took under his wing in the film version of Porridge.