Cover Letter For Scripts To WritersRoom?

On the WritersRoom website it says when sending a script to include a cover letter detailing a little about who you are and what the script is about.

How do people go about this, do you just structure it as a normal letter and a give a brief outline of the script?

All help will be much appreciated. :)

That's pretty much what I did.

Brief introduction, outline of the premise and a couple of sentences about me and my relevant experience. O, and a couple of crisp £20's stapled to the back.

lol Cheers buddy.

That's what I did too. One page letter. No more. BUT: I really wish I hadn't done that. I should have sent it off first to someone independent who knows sitcom better than me.
You see, I sent my script to BBC Writers Room after what seemed like a squillion rewrites. I thought I had it well honed. But I got a bog standard rejection letter.
This was disheartening, but I wasn't going to give up. So I decided to get independent advice - you can shop around for any scriptreader, but I gave my script to Marc Blake, and as others on here have said he does give sound advice.
After Marc's report it was fairly obvious to me why I hadn't got any further with BBC Writersroom, and there were some significants faults to eradicate as well as plenty of good stuff on which to build. If I'd got an independent script report done first, my first submission to the BBC (or any other production company) would have been so much better. And I would have wasted less time waiting for them to come back with a "no" on something that I could have found out needed more work earlier (if that sentence isn't too confusing).
Anyway, main advice: invest in a script reader before you submit. You'll get proper feedback (which realistically is all anyone is looking for from Writersroom, isn't it?) and it will help you improve your script no end before submitting it to people who might be persuaded to make it.

Cheers for the advice Badge, do you know anyone who woul script read for free that is?

Quote: Martin Holmes @ February 9, 2007, 9:27 AM

Cheers for the advice Badge, do you know anyone who woul script read for free that is?

Marc Blakes service is only £60 quid. There's a contact under the Writing section on this site. Like Badge, I wish I'd had independent advice before I sent mine off. I shall ensure I do with my current project. Incidentally, I ran out of steam trying to write a second episode of my first sitcom and I think this was because I was trying to write it around a series of jokes, rather than real plots. I can now see why Writers room turned it down, or at the very least, why it wasn't ready to be sent to them. Or anyone else.