13th episode of Fawlty Towers?

Don't know if this has been mentioned before but in the Times recently there was a bit on the 'lost' episode of Fawlty Towers entitled 'The Robbers'. Apparently someone's written a chapter of a book about it and claims to have seen it in full and have the script.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

I've not heard of this previously, but have done a bit of reading up now and apparently the guy who wrote this book watched said episode 'in a drunken stupour'. That wouldn't explain the script of course, but I'd take the whole affair with a pinch of salt.

Anyway. I could have sworn I heard recently about a short special for some kind of Comic Relief-esque feature (yes, I know Comic Relief started in 1985), but as for a whole 13th episode... Nope, nothing.

All I can say is point you towards a paragraph on this page. It could be a big conspiracy, but meh, it's the best we can go on really:

The official BBC book Fawlty Towers - Fully Booked boldly states in its very first paragraph that claims of a 13th episode are nonsense.

*shrug*

Let's not forget of course the episode of 'Doctor at Large' No Ill Feeling from 1971. Cleese wrote the script about the Doctor, Michael Upton who stayed at a hotel where the manager was incrediably rude. He was played by Timothy Bateson.

Quote: Jack Massey @ April 2 2008, 3:37 PM BST

Let's not forget of course the episode of 'Doctor at Large' No Ill Feeling from 1971. Cleese wrote the script about the Doctor, Michael Upton who stayed at a hotel where the manager was incrediably rude. He was played by Timothy Bateson.

Yes, that was mentioned on the page I linked to also. Any idea how long it was? This guy who wrote the book containing said chapter claims the ep is 45 minutes in length?

Didn't Ronnie Barker do a pilot for a sitcom based in a hotel which he reckoned whas a fore-runner to Fawlty Towers? Or am I hurtling down another blind alley?

Quote: Jack Massey @ April 2 2008, 3:37 PM BST

Bateson's hotel manager seemed a closer adeptation of the real-life person upon which Fawlty was based. I say this (assuming you all know the story) because I found it too easy to sympathise with Fawlty.

I seem to remember something about this and that a 13th episode was planned (and presumably scripts written) but the filming never happened due to a strike. ?

Well the 12th episode's broadcast was delayed for about 6 months, due to a strike. So I suppose it's possible. Buuut I think it'd be far more known if that was the case, and the question wouldn't be being asked.

For what it's worth though, I reckon it's just rumour, probably fuelled by the talk of there having been a film in the works. I wouldn't be surprised if someone overheard the possible film being discussed, but only caught part of the conversation and so misunderstood it as being another episode, thus firing off this 13th episode talk.