At Home With The Braithwaites

Last week, I started watching this wonderful programme.

I know it's perhaps classed as "comedy drama" rather than "sitcom" but I would say this twenty plus years old show is far funnier than anything passed as "comedy" in the last few years or so.

The cast and the characters are fantastic. I can't understand how the actressss playing the three daughters haven't had top notch careers in the years since this show ended.

We are about to finish watching the final series, we don't want it to end, but can't wait to watch it.

3 daughters? Two Sarahs I know and one was recently in Father Brown.

I loved it too, especially with Amanda Redman and posh (Scot) Julie Graham.

PS - isn't there already a thread on this?

I've checked and there is no other thread for this.

A friend of mine, [the one that watched the Jeff Beck concert] said I should watch this, and we now can't stop watching, we've only got the last five episode left.
I'd say the show got better as it went along, which with most programmes is unusal.

There was a third daughter, the younger one with spectacles called Charlotte.

Could you recommend another programme simmilar to Bratihwaites please Chappers.

I see it was written by Sally Wainwright. She was so prolific.

Not Sally Wainwright but I always liked Cold Feet. Also I seem to remember The Riff Raff Element and the recent Lottery winning serials were good.

Thank you for the recommendations. Sally Wainwright, as with most TV writers of the time, began at Coronation Street [before anyone asks, no I don't watch TV soaps, it's just a bit of trivia I found]. She wrote Braithwaites brilliantly.

Last night, we watched Braithwaites Episodes 1 and 2 of Series 4. Still fantastic. If anything the stories improved over the course of the four series. We haven't quite finished it yet but does anyone know why this ended after four series?

I think it just ran its course. Came to a satisfactory conclusion. Not sure but would this have been before New Tricks? Maybe the actors wanted to do other things.

New Tricks started the year Braithwaties finsied [2003], however that was the feature length pilot episode, the first series of New Tricks was broadcast in 2004.

A friend of mine said they should have done a spin-off focusing on the daughters once they fled the nest, but I think in most instances a comedy programme should end on a high note rather being continued just for the sake of it.

We have now watched every episode of Braithwaites. It was a fantastic programme, the best programme I have watched in a very long time.

The ending was as to be expected - Chaotic, I think it would have been interesting if this show returned five or ten years after it finished to see how the family had changed etc.

To conclude, it was a wonderful programme!