Jokes that younger people don't get.

I was about to use the joke "My doughnuts are like Fanny's" in a sketch I'm writing but then wondered if it would only land with people over 50.
I don't know whether to put it in anyway..

I'm 47 and I'm not sure I get it. Do you mean Fanny Craddock? If so I think you might need a lead-in to the gag to make it comprehensible ("Have you read Fanny Craddock's books?" "Oh yes, a,d I'm proud that my strudels look just like Fanny's"???).

I like the gag, though :)

In my sketch group there's about 10 years between the oldest and yougest, but this is easily enough so that 25% of cultural references get vetoed for being too obscure!

Quote: gappy @ 20th January 2023, 1:25 PM

I'm 47 and I'm not sure I get it. Do you mean Fanny Craddock? If so I think you might need a lead-in to the gag to make it comprehensible ("Have you read Fanny Craddock's books?" "Oh yes, a,d I'm proud that my strudels look just like Fanny's"???).

I like the gag, though :)

In my sketch group there's about 10 years between the oldest and yougest, but this is easily enough so that 25% of cultural references get vetoed for being too obscure!

Yeah, it's Fanny Craddock. At the end of one of her programmes where she's been making doughnuts her husband said "May all your doughnuts turn out like Fanny's"
I'll leave it out of this one then. Thanks for replying :)

I got it without the necessity of a lead in. I grew up with Fanny.

Why did the chicken cross the road?

To protest against nuclear missiles.

I can't remember where that's from but think it might be The Young Ones book.

Ed Sheeran.

Quote: Chappers @ 22nd January 2023, 7:22 PM

Ed Sheeran.

Makes me laugh anyway.

When a future guest speaker at a meeting is revealed as "Simon Smith" and you turn to the person next to you, saying "I wonder if he'll bring his amazing dancing bear with him" only to be met by a look that suggests a cross between pity and suspected insanity.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 4th February 2023, 8:13 AM

When a future guest speaker at a meeting is revealed as "Simon Smith" and you turn to the person next to you, saying "I wonder if he'll bring his amazing dancing bear with him" only to be met by a look that suggests a cross between pity and suspected insanity.

I bet in their head they were saying "Bless, but I suppose it's nice for them to get out now and then"

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 4th February 2023, 9:38 AM

I bet in their head they were saying "Bless, but I suppose it's nice for them to get out now and then"

"And they have the perfect coat for it....wonder whether it's theirs..."